That Mind of Yours - Opie

The world is a cruel place where nothing made any sense. You know that from hands-on, personal experience and many years of naive hopes dashed. After all, what better description can you give a place where rough and dough don't rhyme, but bologna and pony do? With that recognized irrationality in mind, you looked at the principal's request for your participation in the school's first annual "Date a Teacher" fundraiser.

Sally McDermott, the home economics twat from down the hall, had suggested that the school system do this in order to raise funds to offset some of the after school programs for the county. Her entire argument had boosted the male egos staffing Charming's elementary and middle schools, which had meant that the gullible men had voted in favor of it. Now, each school was tasked with finding five teachers to be the meat in the market, as if there was nothing better to do than strut down the stage in the gym and get bid on by parents or friends who were taking pity on the unlucky victims.

Looking at the paper in your hands, which had been slipped into your box sometime during the day, you now knew that you were one of the victims. There was going to be no getting around the 'request'.  You owed the principal a favor for the time that you'd accidentally used a permanent marker on the white board. It was a small infraction, really, but apparently the straw that had crushed the back of the janitorial staff - who had lost it in the principal's office as a result. Since Sean had calmed their ruffled feathers and secured your continued ability to have a clean classroom, you were over a barrel and he knew it.

Worse than your realization that you were stuck with the shit that came with this horrendous idea was the fact that it was tomorrow night. Someone must have bailed on Sean last minute and the coward had left you a note so that you wouldn't have the ability to do anything but agree. With a sigh, you left the school grounds and walked home. Now, you had to find something to wear.

---

"Ladies and gentlemen, parents, staff, and friends, we welcome you to Charming's First Annual Date a Teacher fundraiser." Sean spoke into the microphone as men and women mulled about the gym, finding chairs in which to sit. "As you are all aware, this fundraiser is to help with several after school programs we run throughout the year. It is with your kind - and generous - participation that we can help kids get the tutoring they need to fill in some gaps." He continued and there was a smattering of applause.

You looked around the curtain, peeking to see if your friend Mike was finally here. As you did, you noticed that the father of a couple of kids you'd taught a few years back was in the back, joking and laughing with his biker buddies. You hadn't seen Opie Winston since parent-teacher conferences a couple of years ago and you were surprised. You hadn't thought this the kind of thing that would have garnered his attention. It's not like the man needed any help getting a date and he certainly wouldn't have to pay for one.

You heard music start in the background and realized with a start that Sean had already begun the auction. You closed your eyes and stepped away from the curtain, running your hands down your dress nervously. You'd decided on a forest green dress with an A-line cut. It was a good one for dancing - allowing for easy movement - and it made your eyes pop with your heavier-than-usual makeup. It was the best you could come up with that wasn't schoolmarmish, but also wasn't inappropriate.

Sean had teased you when you'd given him grief about this event, saying that he was certain you'd be pulling in the biggest 'donation'. You'd scoffed, of course, because he had to be kidding. Anyone who knew you for two minutes knew you were quiet. It took a lot for someone to pull out your sarcastic, humorous side. That being the case, there was unlikely to be anyone in the building who would be fighting Mike over his prearranged bidding on you. You just had to go out there long enough to be bid on and without making a fool of yourself.

On the thought, you heard your name called and you walked slowly, but firmly out to the center of the stage and smiled. You could hear Sean describing your work over the P.A. system, letting those in attendance know about your pet projects, time with the school, and a few silly personal things that you'd told him so that he'd have something to say. Once he was done with his description, he opened up the bidding.

"Ten dollars!" Mike shouted from the side and you sighed in relief. Thank God, he'd made it. You wouldn't have to suffer the indignity of not being bid on.

"Forty!" You heard a voice yell and you heard some murmurings of surprise as you looked in surprise toward the back of the room. Opie had just bid on you.

"Fifty-five!" Mike responded and you felt your face begin to flush. You'd told Mike that he could bid up to a hundred dollars to get you out of this mess. What you hadn't considered was that a bidding war would draw more attention than if he'd just let someone else win.

"Seventy-Five!" Opie responded and you saw Sean smirking at you from his lectern. He was eating this up.

"Ninety!" Mike said loudly and you wished the floor would swallow you. People whom you'd known for years but whom you had quietly sidled by were now looking at you with interest. People wanted to know what it was about you that had sparked this reaction in the two men.

"Two hundred dollars!" Opie yelled and you saw that his friends, who all wore the same kutte as him, were clapping him on the shoulder. Apparently, they were rooting for him to win this date.

Mike looked at you, trying to figure out what you wanted and you gave a subtle shake of the head. If he could just back down, perhaps this wouldn't be on everyone's mouth tomorrow. He gave a nod and a grin, raising his hands in surrender to Sean. Sean lowered the gavel and the entire group of Sons in the back, grown men in black leather, all hooted and hollered like Opie had won the damn lottery. You gave your best smile and walked to the side of the stage; it was time to go talk to your date.

When you got down the side steps and off to the side, you saw Opie walking up to you with a smile, his face calm but happy. You raised your brow at him with a shake of your head.

"Mr. Winston-" you started to say but he cut you off.

"Opie." He demanded with a smile and you gave a nod.

"Opie," you conceded. "I admit I'm surprised by all that." You said and he shrugged.

"I couldn't let the prettiest teacher in Charming go off on a date with another man." He said and you laughed. He had to be joking.

"Okay, charmer. What did you have in mind?" You asked and he grasped your hand and took you out the side door before he responded.

"You. Only you." He said quietly, his eyes turning serious as he answered your question. Your breath caught as you saw the heat in his eyes and you said something you would have never dreamed you would.

"Well, then let's see where that mind of yours takes us."