Happy's Protection - I

You were running on empty as your car limped into the closest mechanic's shop. The car had plenty of gasoline, but you, on the other hand, had the kind of week that sucked the life right out of a person. It was fitting, therefore, that your brand new car would sputter and cough and act like it was made in 1975.

As you pulled toward the open bays of Teller-Morrow, a blond man with a goatee came out to greet you. Rolling down your window as he approached, you looked up to find pretty blue eyes and a concerned, sympathetic expression. When you turned off the ignition, you moved to open the door and he stepped back.

"Sounds like a problem, darlin'," he said and you nodded, offering him your keys. He took them and nodded to the office on your left, where a woman stood with a clipboard.

"You can fill out the paperwork there and then come check in," he said. "I should know in a few minutes whether it's going to take a while to fix or if it's a simple one."

Smiling slightly in thanks, you walked away from the blond to the woman, who held out the clipboard. You took it as she gestured inside the office, which was cramped and cluttered with items and service notes, but at least out of the blaze of the Charming sun. As you sat in the rickety chair along the wall, you rolled your neck and got to work in answering the questions.

"Can I get you something to drink, sweetheart?" The woman asked and you looked up and shook your head no.

"Not unless it has liquor and an umbrella in it," you joked before turning your eyes back to the form. You almost had it all filled out, now.

"That kind of day, eh?" She asked, not unkindly. You nodded and sighed, handing over the completed paperwork.

"Day, week, month," you replied. "Nah. Let's just go with year," you continued, leaning back and smiling wryly.

"Shame," she answered and you nodded. You stood, pointing a thumb over your shoulder to the door.

"The guy who took the car said to check in, see if it's a quick fix," you noted by way of goodbye and the woman waved you off.

The sound of music drifted over the lot toward you as you approached the garage. Clanking of metal, curses, cigarette smoke and oil seemed to permeate the air. It took a second or two for your eyes to adjust after you stepped out of the sun and into the shadows of the garage.

"Hello?" You called. In response, a large bald man with tattoos up his neck came around a vehicle. You swallowed, your mouth suddenly dry as he walked toward you with interested, dark eyes. When he cocked his head at you, you shook yours to clear it of the cobwebs and smiled slightly.

"A blond guy brought my car in," you told him. "He said to check in?" You said the last as a question, uncertainty starting to eat at you as the bald man continued to look at you quietly. He nodded and turned. When he spoke, you felt your eyes widen.

"Jax," he called out, his voice dark as tinted glass and just as smoky. The blond man came jogging out from a far corner of the garage, wiping his hands as he did. The look on his face said it all.

"Shit," you muttered as you closed your eyes. You felt the stare of the bald man next to you as your eyes opened back up and you pulled in a heavy breath.

"How bad?" You asked, knowing that it wasn't good. Jax's eyes were apologetic as he answered.

"Someone sugared your tank, darlin'," he replied. "It doesn't completely disable your car like people seem to think, but if enough gets in it, you need to drop a new tank. You're in that category. You need a new filter and plugs, and either a thorough tank cleaning or a new one."