Fourteen

« Winter's POV »

Organization is something I know the definition of very well. With all the time I had in my hands since Vincent kept me locked up the majority of the time, I cleaned and reorganized frequently to occupy my boredom. It was better than doing nothing.

As soon as my arm healed, I got back to doing just that. Whenever Kason left, I cleaned. Emily and I got closer. We're closer now. It only took about three weeks for her to warm up to me. I even take her to school sometimes.

I haven't seen Vincent ever since he came into the apartment, breaking in. Kason says he moved out awhile ago, but he still fights at Kix every Saturday. I don't think I'll have to worry about him anymore.

Also, I've become more comfortable with leaving the apartment without thinking about some man trying to attack me. And as soon as I finished cleaning the windows, I decided it would be a good idea to go outside.

Emily's in school right now, so there's no one to bring with me. Instead, I walk around the city, looking for a place to have breakfast at. I smile victoriously when I spot the little café, happy to find a place to take shelter from the cold that's starting up due to an incoming storm.

I sigh in relief when the smell of coffee and warm pastries enters my nostrils. Heat floods my pores, and I close my eyes just for a split second in content. Yes, I love Oregon's scenery and weather, but I'll admit that I miss the sun sometimes too.

I walk up to a small table with two chairs when I notice the small dark green chalkboard in the front that read, "Seat yourself." It had a small yellow smiley face too, which I found adorable.

I sit next to the window, watching a small drizzle begin to pour outside and tip-tap the glass. A woman holds an umbrella above her head for her and her son to walk underneath, her other hand grasping onto his tiny one. I can't help but smile and think, I'll never understand the concept of true love until I have children. I really believe in that. Kids just love unconditionally. None of them are corrupted, but all are impressionable. The perfect setup for love and care.

I blink when I see a limited menu set out in front of me, thanking the waitress politely. She returns a tiny grin before asking if I'd like anything to drink. I ask for some hot chocolate and blush in embarrassment when I add in an order of extra whipped cream. She smiles and nods before walking off.

I'm looking out the window again, waiting for my beverage, when the bell rings on the door. Naturally, my eyes move to the entrance on their own accord. A gorgeous woman who looks to be around my age enters with a very handsome man linked to her side. He scowls at her for something she said, to which she laughs hysterically. They pick a table right next to me, scanning over their menus when another waiter comes by and drops them off.

The girl has flawless dark skin that seems to be golden underneath the yellow lights in the café. She has thick, black, wavy hair that shines ever-so-perfectly in its assumed natural beauty. I find myself envious of her looks. How can a girl look so great? I'm scarred up and thin and unattractive. My appearance is incomparable to hers. And the man? He's just as attractive. It seems like pretty people get pretty partners. It's totally unfair.

I gaze at the man a little longer. Do I know him from somewhere?

Humiliatingly enough, she feels me staring. After my hot chocolate is dropped off and the waitress asks what I want, I quickly say something random in order for her to leave so I can wallow in my own embarrassment. The girl's eyes stay trained on me in my peripheral vision, and she whispers something to the man. This draws his attention onto me as well, and I turn redder than a fire truck with torches on its backside.