Thirty-One

« Kason's POV »
( He's aliiiive bitcheees ;) )

Beautiful.

She's so beautiful.

Isn't it kind of amazing that a person, who was a total stranger, could mean the whole world to you later on? Twice.

I didn't tell her before I was kidnapped and beaten and tortured. I didn't tell her that I loved her. That I love her. That I'm in love with her. And now we're in the hospital beds together, side by side. She's the one that's unconscious instead of me. I should be that way, not her.

I swallow out of dehydration and tilt my head to look at her for the thousandth time. They said it wasn't allowed for two patients to be put together, but I can be persuasive when I wanna be. Long story short, the nurses don't like me very much, but it's worth it. I feel at ease knowing I can be here for her despite not being able to stand.

They brought in a radio for the past week for me to keep myself up to date with everything and entertained. I've mostly just listened to music. And since this is the twenty-first century, everything is a love song. Every lyric refers to the girl as "her." It's like everything I listen to is about Clumsy.

Maybe she was too late to be the first girl I loved. Sam will always be the first girl, the one that taught me how to breathe. But Clumsy's going to be my last. She'll be my forever. She'll teach me how to walk again (figuratively and literally).

They placed her into a medically induced coma. I wasn't sure what the reason was. It was a bunch of doctor talk. But she had a heart attack on the beach, and that was what they needed to do. As soon as they told me she'd be okay, I didn't care about the rest.

What gets me is how amazingly sacrificial she is. She, even though she passed out and practically died on top of me, kept her hand on my neck. Dr. Martinez says that's the only thing that kept me alive. She knew it too. I know she made it her mission to keep those tiny hands on the wound.

I love her.

I reach over and grab her hand in mine, tracing small circles on the back. I want her to wake up already. Desperately. I want to thank her a million times and then kiss the hell out of her. I'll ask her to—

"Hey, man. I see you're awake."

I look over to the door to see Cameron standing there with two bouquets of flowers in his hand. One set is roses, and the other is marigolds, Winter's favorite.

"Guess so," I say as he walks in. "I don't really like flowers though."

He rolls his eyes and sets the marigolds next to Clumsy on her night stand. He hangs onto the roses though.

"They're not for you, jackass," he scoffs. "Kassidy likes roses."

I nod knowingly. "She's always been a cliché."

"Being cliché also means playing the hero," Cam reminds me. "And she saved your ass, so..."

I sigh, looking to Winter again. "Yeah she did."

Please wake up, Clumsy.

"She's being discharged today," Cameron says, once again pulling my eyes away from my girlfriend.