Thirty-Four

« Winter's POV »

My nerves bubble up inside of me as I await Kassidy's call, my leg bouncing up and down. I can't help how impatient I am. I feel like I can't breathe all the time.

It's not that she's not doing her job. She's doing great at keeping me updated. I just wish that she could update me every minute, every second. I can't call her. If I did, it could compromise everything. I can only sit and wait for her to call me, which I've been doing all day.

For the past eight hours straight in a chair.

Kason hasn't left my side, although he's gotten extremely annoyed in the past three hours. There was only so much he could tolerate in "these jeans." He claims they're starting to pinch his junior, and I told him he could leave or go change, but he apparently is sticking to his word about never letting me out of his sight until he thinks I'm completely better. Gotta get that Ryhawks certificate of approval.

"Winter," Kason says calmly. "You need to sleep. It's ten o'clock."

"If I sleep, I might miss a call," I argue for the hundredth time. "If I miss a call where Kassidy tells me my family is dead, and I'm so selfish as to catch rest while they're being tortured, I'll never forgive myself. Ever."

Kason sighs and stands up. "If you don't sleep, I'm going to carry you up to the room and toss you into bed myself."

Bailey, who'd been sitting on my lap, wags her tail and yips at Kason. Some say dogs can't smile, but they clearly haven't met Bailey Ryhawks, because she looks up to Kason like he's a hero. I guess he is in a way.

I pet her head and glare up at him. "I'm not leaving."

Kason rolls his eyes. Then, in a flash, he snatches the cell phone off the table and shoves it into his pocket. I gape at him.

"Kason!"

"Sleep. Now."

"What if—"

"No."

"If she—"

"Shut up."

"Vince could—"

"Winter," my boyfriend growls. "I love you, but you need to calm your ass down. I don't want you stressing over this. Kass has it covered. Enough."

I snap my lips shut and pout, crossing my arms. I don't want to admit it, but he's probably right. Not sleeping could jeopardize me staying awake tomorrow for more updates. Plus, it ruins your brain's ability to use common logic.

After giving into Kason's pressure, we walk up to the bedroom together. He shuts the door behind him and leans against the wall with his arms crossed as I raise my arm and sniff my pits. I gag and shake my head, squeezing my eyes shut.

I need a shower.

"I'm gonna clean up," I say sheepishly when I notice him smirking at me.

He nods. "Good idea, fish-stench."

I stick my tongue out at him and head into the bathroom, stripping down. I glance at the scars I'd received from Vincent — both old and recent — and sigh, looking away. My body's battered and trashed. I feel bad for Kason.

After the water warms up, I step inside and shampoo my hair and wash my body. It feels refreshing to rinse the grime and "fish smell" off of my skin.

I'm about to step out when I hear the glass shower door open. I flinch and gasp, covering myself instinctively. When I realize Kason stepping in, in all his naked glory, I relax a little. But again, not so much. My heart speeds up as he nears me, a lustful look replacing the hard and determined one from earlier.