Sixteen

« Winter's POV »

A beautiful sunlight leaks through the thin apartment blinds, gracefully waking me from the slumber I had in the most comfortable bed in the world.

Not.

That's what most commercials and TV ads have you stare at in order to make their product seem more glorious. And trust me, I'm not glorious morning person. My hair's messy, breath stinks, and eyes are crusty. It's a disaster.

And this morning, there's no sunlight because this is Oregon. So instead of waking up to warm light tickling your nose, you're shaken awake by thunderstorms and rain pounding on the window. And when you wake up next to Kason Ryhawks after a mind-blowing rendezvous the night prior, it's not too bad. Even when he's trapping you in his arms while you're completely naked and it's hot and kind of embarrassing, it's sort of...relaxing. Because you get to observe this beautiful, emotionally scarred man while he's out cold. He can't scowl at you or snap when he's asleep. You just look at him and smile and trace his tattoos.

They tell stories, his ink. I'm not sure why the heck he has a tattoo of a tiny Snicker's bar on the inside of his arm, but whatever. Maybe he got it when he was drunk, or maybe there is some sort of story behind it. Either way, I like to outline it with my fingers very lightly, smiling when little goosebumps form on his skin.

He makes a contorted face of discomfort and pulls me impossibly closer to his chest. He murmurs some incoherent things and then proceeds to nuzzle his freaking nose into my hair like some sort of cuddly animal. It's so strange to see him transform from this brutal and damaged lion into an adorable little bunny. But it's a good strange, I guess.

I try to ignore the fact that I'm completely bare, and he managed to put his boxers back on, because it would be humiliating to acknowledge. Instead I focus on his hair. It's so messy and wild from my hands last night. I blush just thinking about it.

Despite how tightly he's holding onto me though, I can't help but feel like he's just going to let go anyway when he wakes up. He said it himself: absolutely no emotions and no
do-overs. This was a one hundred percent one-time thing.

Still, even if I agreed to this, it hurts to be considered a one-night stand. I swallow that hurt down though, because I have no right to feel that way after going through the terms of agreement.

"Shtimmn..." Kason grumbles and then sighs into my hair. A low rumble of thunder causes him to awaken. One eye is opened more than the other, and both droop lowly. I find it cute that he's so tired.

Shut your thoughts down, Winter. You dummy.

"Morning," I laugh tiredly. "You look peachy."

He smirks.

He freaking smirks.

Like not a half-assed one. And it doesn't fade away. It's no smile, but it's an expression of amusement. A positive emotion.

It's shocking to see that he has a better morning attitude than I do. He never has a better attitude than me at all, or anyone else on the planet. I thought Satan would have nothing on his angry self, but now I'm proved wrong. Because. He's. Smirking.

"You look fine yourself, almost better than the rat's nest sitting in the alleyway outside," he retorts, still not releasing his hold on me. I'm surprised he didn't karate-kick me off the bed after he realized he had me so close to him. He was offended the last time he kept me this near in his proximity.