Twenty-Four

« Winter's POV »

I had gaped at him, my eyes immediately drying out.

"...What?"

"Help me find him, Clumsy."

I must've been certifiably insane for agreeing. His sister works in the FBI. Couldn't he just ask her to help him, or literally anyone else for that matter? Why does he need my help? My "navigational skills" aren't fantastic. Sure, I've been places, but it doesn't make me a cartographer.

Regardless, I told him I'd help
because - clearly - he's gone crazy from the lack of sleep and emotional support. So now we're sitting in his room on the computer, looking at anything that could help us find a lead.

This is crazy.

"I feel like a super secret spy agent," I admit, standing over his shoulder.

He glances up at me with a raised eyebrow and then scoffs with a wide grin, shaking his head before returning back to the screen. I turn beet red due to my childishness and pretend I'd never said anything.

It is true though. We're surfing the Internet trying to find anything: his last location, what prison he was kept in, etc. It's difficult to trace the simplest of things, and if we were to ask Kassidy what she has so far, it would make us look suspicious asking for the details we need.

After searching for three hours and finding nothing, Kason slams his fist on the desk and spins around. His eyes are hard but determined. I yawn, rubbing my own eyes due to hours of exhaustion resting on my shoulders.

"Why don't you let Kass take care of this, Kason?" I suggest. "From the story you told me, I'm sure she wants to get justice on Scott just as much as you do."

I recall on the retelling of Kason's past events. Scott was this guy back in high school who attempted to rape, and even at point, kill Sam (his ex who I met and can't seem to tell him how). I guess that's why she helped me in the alley with a gun. She must've felt my situation personally, saw it, and stepped in after recognizing me.

Anyway, my point is that Scott is a bad guy who wronged Kason's family in many ways. So why not let an experienced law enforcer take over?

He shakes his head. "She wants to put him back in prison. She believes in the justice system."

"You don't?" I ask.

"Do you?"

I shrug, looking down. I suppose not. They can't really be that liable and trustworthy if there are hundreds of illegal street fighting businesses running the cities, and they know nothing about them. Clearly, they don't do their job right.

I watch Kason as he stands, heading into his closet. "So...what's your plan then? We don't have a lead yet."

He comes out of the closet with two hoodies. He throws one to me, which I fail to catch so it hits my face. My hair flies up for a second, and I remove the material to send him a glare. He smirks in amusement, eyes twinkling as he slides his own black hood over his torso.

"Our plan is to be super secret agent spies," he says, walking over to me.

He cages me in between the rolling chair I'm seated in by pressing his hands onto the arm rests and leaning in close. My heart rate increases a little, but then I realize he'd just mocked me. I blush and cross my arms, trying to seem unaffected.

"What do you mean?" I mumble.

He chuckles at my failed-to-cover embarrassment and steps away towards the door.