Twenty-Six

« Kason's POV »

I can't make myself push her head off of my shoulder. I just can't do it. She's so peaceful. I want to just put her head on the window or something, but I don't want to.

She's gorgeous. She's innocent. She's absolutely perfect. I couldn't ruin that with my touch, so why am I letting her touch me? I'm toxic.

Because she's fixing you.

I sigh and lean my head back, admiring her. I tend to watch her sleep a lot; it's the only time I can stare without embarrassing the hell outta myself. But damn, she makes snoring and bedhead look good.

I make my eyes shift outside the taxi window, watching the sun set. We'd got on a plane immediately after telling Cameron we needed some cash for a "getaway." He awkwardly gave us some money to pitch in for the ride after I told him I'd pay him back, confused as to why I was taking Winter alone with me.

I was only half-lying. She said she wanted to go to Tahiti at one point, ironically enough. I could never go back there, but Hawaii is close enough, right? This was the least I could do after everything I've asked of her, and after everything she's been through.

So yes, I do need her for this "mission," as she put it (I smile at the thought). But also, she needs a break. And while we need to stay focused, it doesn't mean I can't take her to the beach for a few hours.

Now that Scott's escaped from prison, there's no timer speeding things up, is there? We'll catch him whenever we want.

Our taxi driver stops at the hut rentals, and I pay him prior to thanking him for the ride.

"You're welcome," he says, skin old and worn, but his smile new and bright. "You two are very lovely. Very nice couple."

I scratch the back of my neck and give him a half smile, nodding in awkward thanks. Then I pick up a sleeping Clumsy and carry her (and our luggage) out of the taxi and into the Hawaii-cabin.

I didn't deny his statement.

After settling her tiny, featherlike body into the bed (the only bed), I head into the bathroom and splash some cold water on my face. One of my managers wanted me to fight tonight, but I told them I couldn't. I've been telling them I couldn't for awhile now, and they're getting suspicious. I'll need to fight again, and soon.

I glance into the mirror at her unconscious form. Truth be told, she's the whole reason I have told them no. I don't ever feel like it anymore. I'm always "busy" or "I'll have to do it some other time." But I honestly just want to stay with her and make sure she's safe. I bring danger to the table, and I don't want it fed to her too.

I dry my face off and walk over to our suitcases, pulling out the files. It says that Scott was last seen at a night club called Red Lantern. I'm going there tonight to see what I can find, and I'll lock the door so Winter can sleep. I'll also leave a note for her so she doesn't freak out or get confused.

I pull out my phone and look up the directions to the place before digging in my bag and ripping out a piece of paper from a magazine. I scribble some words saying that I'll be back before morning and not to come looking. Stay inside and stay safe. I sign my name and leave it on the nightstand so she'll see it before grabbing my jacket and heading out.