Chapter 18; Calls

Previously on "Enlightenment"

   It's best for Natalya to push her feelings deep down. Hopeful to forget about them and not become heartbroken when she finds out Mick will never come back. She already knows it's highly unlikely he will show up. Even with the odds not in her favor, a sliver of her still hopes he will show up one day.

   To conclude, Natalya Roman is hopelessly in love with a man named Mick Rory. A man that brings danger and excitement into her boring life. A man, that she hopes she will never see again.

________________

   THE COOL CRISP AIR nips as Natalya's bare skin. A few cars rushing past her here and there. The morning traffic rush coming closer. She taps her foot on the ground, her combat boots clicking slightly. Her leather jacket pulled tightly around her. Black ripped skinny jeans and round sunglasses to match.

   This isn't Natalya's normal attire, but a dress and heels is impractical. Besides, her leather jacket is one of her warmest jackets, a gift from Jenny. To sum up her outfit, she simply felt daring today. She also didn't want to wear anything to revealing, the entire day she feels as if she's being watched.

   With a few more minutes of being impatient, the cars finally stop. In a rush, Natalya speed walks across the street, getting to the other side safely. Slightly regretting her decision on not driving her car. Driving in late winter -turning spring- isn't fun though, so she is also glad she doesn't drive in the insufferable couple of months.

   A feeling of despair washes over Natalya like a hurricane. Her breath quickens and her strides become larger. Her arms tightening around her body. The thought of being watched breaking her down on the inside. What's happening to her? What's the weird feeling that suddenly appeared?

   Trying to ignore it, she continues to trek to the orphanage. Wanting to get her horrible experience of walking to work off of her mind, even if it was currently happening. Why did all the bad stuff happen to her?

   She stops, looking down the alleyway. It wasn't dark, but it also wasn't well lit in the early morning. Natalya contemplates her options. Take the longer route to the orphanage and be late, or go through the alleyway and be on time to work. She cusses under her breath, cursing herself in Russian for oversleeping.

   With hesitation, she picks the alleyway route. Jogging through the alleyway, staying aware of her surroundings. Unfortunately, she doesn't notice that there is another set of eyes watching her. Natalya is a few feet from the exit, and she slows down with a breath of relief. Moments before she will be able to leave the alleyway, she feels a large hand on her shoulder pulling her back.

   Natalya goes to scream, but a hand covers to her mouth. A soothing, rough voice growling at her attempts, "Stop moving shortie, you're not helping anything!"

   Natalya's eyes widen, she knows that voice... Still, she trys and get out of his grip, and in the struggle, she stomps on his foot, sadly, to no avail. With that, he growls and slams her against the brick wall. Natalya cries out in agony, now seething from the pain emanating from her back.

   "Mick..." she mutters, staring into his eyes. He's annoyed, that's definitely not a good sign.

   "Watch your back, shortie," Mick warns, pushing himself off of the wall. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a lighter. Lighting it in front of Natalya's face. Making sure her attention stayed on the flame as he snuck a note in her pocket.

   She watches the flame dance in the wind, gulping loudly. Her eyes than trail back up to meet his eyes. "W-What do you mean?" she manages to choke out. Tears welling up in her brown orbs.