Chapter 24; The Ring

Previously on "Enlightenment"

       This is love, it has to be. What else could this feeling in the pit of his stomach be?

       But now, shes dead. She has to be, its what his gut feeling told him. Or, could his gut be saying something else? Maybe she is alive, he hasn't kept up with the news long enough to know.

       For now, he will stay hopeful that he will be able to see her beautiful brown eyes and award winning smile once more.

___________

       DOCTORS AND NURSES SURROUND Natalya's hospital bed. She lays there, pale and sickly, dead to the world.

       "Clear!"

       Her body jolts at the touch of the electricity. It was the third time they did this, each time at a higher power. They waited for a few minutes, but her heart didn't start up again. They were going to give up, she wasn't going to live.

       Slowly, they all start to clean up the mess they made. Mrs. Roman crying in Joe's arms --who came as soon as he heard Natalya flat-lined-- outside of the room.

       Suddenly, almost as it Natalya could sense everyone's sadness, her heart started again. The electricity taking a moment to affect her.

       The doctors and nurses sprung into action, determined to keep this young woman alive so she could live her life to the fullest.

■    £     ●    £    ●    £    ■

       Mick barged into the warehouse, beyond angry now. If she is dead, then the whole city is. He only knows one person who would help him, his lifelong best friend, Leonard Snart, a fellow criminal.

       "Snart!" Mick calls out, his new heat-gun in his hand as he stomps through the warehouse. Snart had gone to him before, asking for his help, which is coming up in a couple of weeks.

       "Mick, what do I owe this pleasure?" Leonard walks over, his face dead serious.

       Dead

       "I want this whole city to burn,"

       "I can't let you do that," Leonard replies, his voice laced with poison.

       "She's dead, they let her die, Snart. They deserve to die!" Mick pins him against a wall, yelling in his face. He is truly angry, angry at the hospital for not saving his love.

       Leonard stares into his eyes, trying to read him. See how he could calm down the man that stood up for him since they were fourteen. Though, he soon realized that the Mick in front of him isn't the same Mick as before. This man in front of him has a heart. Something he cares for that isn't fire.

       In that moment, Leonard knew only one thing for certain: Mick is in love, and once you fall into that hole, you never crawl back up.

       Knowing him, Leonard knew that Mick would never abandoned Natalya, hell, he would put a ring on her finger before they even kissed. Well, if they ever got the chance to kiss.

       "Let go of me, and we'll talk," he finally speaks, after studying his friend for a hot minute.

       Mick lets go, still furious at the world. No one touches his girl, or his friends.