Chapter 25

James looked up from the essay he working on to see Remus slumped forward in his chair, his hands massaging his temples.

"Moony? Do you need me to get you anything?" James asked, patting his friend on the back.

Remus only groaned in response.

Remus looked horrid. His usually pale skin had taken on a grayish hue. His hair hung limply on his head, like mere strings. He was wrapped in a shawl because he was shivering so much. James hated seeing his friend like this. It was unfair that Remus had to go through this once a month. He deserved better.

Sirius looking up from where he was lounging, his dark brows creasing with concern. "Maybe we should-"

"I'm fine!" Remus shouted, causing them to flinch.

Peter's gaze darted back and forth between Sirius, James, and Remus while wringing his hands. He hated it when his friends fought because he had no idea whose side he should be on. Most of the time, though, the conflict usually resolved itself on its own.

James shared a look with Sirius and resumed working on his essay. All four of them were sitting in the Heads Common Room, waiting it out, until it was time to take Remus to the Shrieking Shack. Lily wasn't around, which was a relief to James because he knew that she would just ask more questions.

He knew that Lily was pissed at him, and she had every right to be. But, James also knew that she was in denial. Because, without a doubt, that night, after the Prefect's meeting, she had wanted him to kiss her. And now, she refused to admit it, too blinded by fear or something else,  James didn't know.

However, a while later, when Remus started coughing, James couldn't take it anymore. He got up and went into the kitchen to get Remus a glass of water. He heard the portrait hole open, but he was too focused on his task to pay any heed.

When he returned to the Common Room, he saw Lily kneeling at Remus' side, coaxing him gently (how had she gotten there?). James stared at her, open-mouthed, as she rubbed her hand across his shoulders. Sirius had gotten up and was standing in front of Remus. Peter stood awkwardly off to the side, unsure of what to do.

Lily whispered something to Remus, to which he shook his head. Lily tried to tell him something again, but Remus refused to listen. Lily sighed, exasperatedly, and looked at Sirius.

"Do something, Sirius!"

"What? What am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know! Maybe you could-"

But Lily never got to finish that sentence. Right at that moment, Remus gagged and then proceeded to throw up.

...On Sirius' shoes.

"AHHHH!" Sirius screamed, staring at the muck on his shoes.

"Oh, don't be such a baby," Lily said, as she waved her wand. Sirius visibly relaxed as his shoes became spotless once again.

Remus wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, grimacing at the foul taste in his mouth.

"Let me get you some water," Lily said, standing up.

"Here, I got some," James said, handing the glass of water to her.

Lily looked at him but quickly averted her eyes as she took the glass of water from him. She handed it to Remus, who took a large gulp of water and wrapped his shawl tightly around him.

"Remus, I hate to see you like this. Are you sure there's nothing I can do?" Lily asked him.

"It will pass eventually, Lily," Remus told her, shutting his eyes. He pressed the tips of his fingers to the bridge of his nose, trying his best to quell the headache.