Chapter 36

James faceplanted into the couch, throwing his school bag onto the floor. He brought his hands to his hair, pulling hard on the strands.

"James, I don't think that's healthy," commented Lily.

James turned to face her. She was standing at the foot of the couch, a mug in her hands, trying to conceal her smile.

"Well, I might as well be dying, so who cares about my health?"

"I do. Here, drink this," she said, thrusting the mug in her hands towards him.

James groaned as he arranged himself into a much more acceptable seated position, allowing Lily to take the seat next to him. He stretched his limbs out, propping his feet on the small coffee table in front of them. He took the mug from Lily, relishing how the steam rose from the cup, warming his hands.

He took a sip and sighed contently. He caught Lily's eye and noticed that she was looking at him, the corners of her mouth curved upwards. He raised his eyebrow at her, and she shook her head in answer, her face coloring.

He wrapped an arm around her, pulling her in closer. "I'm never getting rid of you, Evans."

Lily snorted. "Why? Because I bring you tea when you need it?" Nonetheless, she rested her head on his shoulder, fingering the end of his tie.

"Nope," he said, popping the p, "It's because you're here when I need you."

Lily felt the butterflies in her stomach, and she knew she was grinning like a buffoon. It didn't matter. James just made her feel so... important.

She looked up at him. "So, what's caused all of this melodrama?"

"Melodrama?!" gasped James, clutching his chest. "Are you calling me melodramatic?"

Lily rolled her eyes. "Just tell me what's going on."

"I got an invitation."

"To what?"

"To my father's retirement party."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No."

"So, your father's retiring from Sleekeazy's?"

James nodded, his eyes focused on the tips of his trainers.

"So Mr. Future Owner of Sleekeazy's, what're you gonna do with the company?"

James' face darkened. "Oh. Right."

Lily frowned. "Have I said something wrong?"

"No, no. It's not that. It's just that—well— I don't really want the company."

Lily stared at him. "Huh? What d'you mean you don't 'want' the company?"

James ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "Well, I've never really thought of myself running a potions company, you know?"

"It's your father's company."

"I know! I'm rubbish at Potions, and I barely know how to be Head Boy, much less run a whole company."

"So, what then? Your father's going to sell the company?"

"Er—" James scratched the back of his neck. "We haven't really spoken about it, actually."

"James!" Lily smacked his arm.

"What?!" he exclaimed, "I just never found the right time to tell him. He's been talking about me taking over the company for ages, and I just... don't know how to break it to him."