Chapter 35

Lily checked her watch one last time, praying that she wouldn't be late for her Defense lesson. Professor Bennett was a nice man, but he didn't stand for tardiness.

She made her way towards the Defense corridor, reviewing her Defense essay. She had to make sure she covered the main points regarding the difference between resisting the Imperius Curse and Occulumency.

Before she could even comprehend what was happening, a hand clamped around her upper arm and pulled her into an empty classroom. Lily was about to call for help when her captor placed a hand over her mouth.

"Don't scream. It's me," drawled a familiarly unfamiliar voice.

Lily flinched out of his grip, eyes flashing murderously. She stuffed her essay into her bag and crinkled her nose in distaste at the person standing in front of her.

Severus Snape stared back at her. His hair hung like a curtain around his face, only showing the end of his hooked nose. He attempted to smile at her, but it looked out-of-place on his unnaturally pale face.

"Lily, I-"

"This is highly inappropriate, Snape," Lily admonished, eyes narrowed.

"I had to talk to you."

"Why couldn't you do it like a normal person? I also respond to 'Hi Lily, can I have a word?'"

"You're never alone. He's always with you."

"He has a name, you know."

Severus ignored this. "Is it true? What I've heard about the two of you? Is it true?"

"Don't be a coward, Snape," Lily snapped. "Yes, I'm dating him."

"Lily! It's James Potter! You hated him!"

"No, that's not true. I never hated him, per se. I found him incredibly immature and arrogant, but I never outright hated him."

"But-"

"And anyway," she said, her green eyes staring directly at him, "I don't see how this is any of your business."

"I had to hear it from you. I think I deserved that much."

"What you deserve," Lily gritted through her teeth, "is a lesson on how not to accost girls in a hallway."

Severus ignored her. "So, what now? You're going to live happily ever after?" he snarled.

"You've lost the right to question my decisions, Severus."

She turned around and made her way toward the door, trying to put as much space as she could between her and Snape.

Snape spoke up just as she reached the door, "I'm worried about you, Lily."

Lily scoffed. "I'm perfectly fine, thanks. You do not need to concern yourself about me. I'm sure you have more important matters to attend to."

"Lily, you're important too."

Lily turned around to face him, a fire raging behind her eyes. "You don't get to do this. You don't get to act like we're friends after everything you've done. Did you think I would forget what you did to him? You attacked James... intending to hurt him. That wasn't some childish prank. You wanted to hurt him. It made you happy to see him in pain. I will never forgive you for that. And, don't ever grab me like that again."

Snape looked shifty-eyed but still met her eyes with fire in his own.

"Listen to me. People will talk. You're- you're... muggle-born," he said the word like it physically pained him, "Potter's a pureblood. People will say nasty things. They'll say you're only with him for his money or his blood status. They'll call you awful names and no one will take you seriously. You have so much potential, Lily, and you're throwing it all away for Potter."