Open Book

If you focus too much on the painful past, you'll miss the beautiful future.

I woke up a few hours later. A bowl was lying on the sideboard, clearly lunch that I had missed. I turned over, pulling the blankets over my head and getting comfortable again. I didn't want to eat, my mind was too full of thoughts. Part of me wanted to trust in everything Jungkook said, to believe that he would let me go if Yugyeom settled the debt otherwise. But there was something about the way he looked at me. Something about what Yugyeom had said about Jungkook not selling me on and keeping me for his own vendetta. It put me on edge. I heard the door twist before it started to push open. I buried my head into the pillow, forcing my eyes shut as I pretended to be asleep. 

It was Jungkook. I could tell by the smell of his aftershave. Was that weird? I'd only been close to him on that one occasion but it was as though it was ingrained on my mind. I heard him approach the bowl on the sideboard, playing around with the spoon before he sighed. I closed my eyes tightly, hoping he would just leave. I felt the bed sink down as Jungkook sat down next to my chest. I had to try my hardest to keep my eyes closed and my breathing steady as I could feel his eyes on my face. His hand ran over my hair, tucking a stray strand behind my ear as he sighed. His fingertips grazed over the yellowing of my eye. Yugyeom's mark. 

"After everything we went through as children..." Jungkook spoke to himself, thinking I was asleep. "I don't know how he can allow himself to be this way." He sighed. "I'll never let him lay hands on you or anyone else, ever again." He breathed quietly, his hand running down to my chin before he pulled back. Once the door was closed over, I allowed myself to breathe. I sat myself up, crossing my legs, making myself as small as possible. I couldn't help but wonder what Jungkook had meant. I knew that Yugyeom had lost his mother when he was very young and that he had went to live with Jungkook and his mother for a while. 

Had their Father also been abusive? 

Was that why Yugyeom was the way he was? 

Was that where he got his temper from? 

Hours had passed and I was starting to get tired of the small four walls. Wiping the evidence of tears from my eyes, I headed out of the door and into the hallway. I found myself in the living room with an amazing balcony and fantastic views. Wandering over to the balcony, I breathed in the fresh air, closing my eyes and letting it wash over me. 

"I thought I heard someone walking around up here." Tae was standing in the doorway. I didn't turn around, looking out at the horizon. He walked behind me, placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder. I didn't flinch away from him. Something about him was just so pure, I couldn't bring myself to even be scared of him. "You're safe here, you know." He smiled. "Jungkook will make sure of it." 

"Where is he?" I asked, moving over to the sofa and sitting myself down, my legs tucked beneath me. Tae sat down next to me, legs extended. 

"He's got business to attend to." 

"So he's out there intimidating someone into paying overinflated debts back. But yet he has the nerve to criticise Yugyeom..."

"It's different Y/N. The characters that Jungkook deals with - they're not nice guys or girls. They're bad people." I looked at Tae. 

"Doesn't that make Jungkook a bad person for keeping that sort of company?" Tae looked at me, shaking his head lightly. 

"I find it interesting that you can so easily find fault in Jungkook's actions without knowing him but yet you can't pick fault with Yugyeom's which you've seen up close and personal." 

"It's complicated with Yugyeom." I sighed, peering out at the sunset. "I wouldn't expect any of you to understand." 

"I'm going to speak openly with you Y/N because I like you. You love Yugyeom because he's all that you've known.  You've been in that bubble so long, you've muddled all those feelings together." I wrapped my arms around my knees, not really wanting to listen to what Taehyung had to say. I loved Yugyeom. Why else would I have stayed with him? "Just consider this as a vacation Y/N. Take some time for yourself, talk to some people who aren't Yugyeom and stop thinking so much." He ruffled my hair slightly before he stood up. "If you need me, I'm usually on the floor below this." I smiled at him fondly.