1

One

There she is again. Her white painted fingernails effortlessly run through her strawberry hair, removing the strands that had previously fallen in front of her face. Her dark and captivating eyes masked hidden emotions but were nothing compared to her smile. Her beauty is compelling enough, but her bold lipstick and confidence makes her almost irresistible.

Beep! Beep!

My alarm clock blares, and the thoughts of my dream blur into my mind, replaced by thoughts of school. My head pounds, as it does every morning without fail. I shower and throw on a tight grey singlet, black denim jeans with rips in the knees, and tie a green flannel around my waist.

I step back. Allowing my full body to be visible in my mirror. My eyes snap to the reflection of my slowly opening bedroom door.

"Hi Toni." My little sister waddles up to me and wraps her arms around what ends up being my thighs, as she can barely reach any higher.

"Morning beautiful," I smile, crouching down in front of her to match her small height. "How are you?"

"Good. Mommy says to make sure you are awake. Are you awake?" She grabs my face and pushes my eyebrows up, causing my eyes to open wider.

"Nope!" I chuckle. "Can you tell mom I'll be down in a sec?"

She nods and walks back downstairs.

I notice obvious purple bags u der my eyes, despite going to bed earlier than usual last night. For months I haven't been able to feel satisfied with my sleep, no matter when I go to bed. I lean closer to my mirror, quickly concealing my under eyes with makeup and applying a few coats of mascara to my lashes.

A car beeps it's horn twice from the front of my house. Shit. I quickly gather my things, shoving them into a bag and slinging it over my shoulder as I rush downstairs.

I'm surprised by the feeling of lips being pressed onto mine. "You're lucky that shirt isn't any tighter than that, babe." Aaron says in a tone that was way too nice and sweet.

"Sorry, I was rushed this morning." I reluctantly explain.

"Better have been because of that." I refrain from rolling my eyes, ignoring the hand he places on my thigh. He notices this. "It's only because I don't want other guys looking at you, baby."

"Okay." I force myself to smile and kiss him back when he leans into me.

As my boyfriend's shiny, black car pulls into the school parking lot, everything becomes slow motion. A girl with long, scorching red hair that see,s to flow behind her as she sways her hips, walk the stairs up to the building of our school. The way her white crop top fits her body perfectly and how her brightly coloured short accentuate her toned legs, makes me not blame almost every boy for, ogling in the direction of this new, mysterious girl.

But that's not why I stop breathing. It's her. The girl I have been dreaming about for the past few weeks.

I've never actually seen her before. I didn't even know she was a real person. I thought she was just a way-too-good-to-be-true, figment of my imagination. How can this be happening?

"Toni. TONI!"

I snap out of it. Aaron looks down at me with a confused, and slightly bothered expression on his face.

"I got distracted, sorry," I say once I realise what just happened. I quickly turn back to the front of the school, but the girl isn't there. She must have gone inside already.

I don't know who she is, or how I seem to know her, but I intend to find out.