20

Twenty

"Why are you crying?" A familiar voice says in a much softer tone than I'm used to hearing come from their mouth.

The cool floor from the school hallway sends shivers through by body, so I ball up, wrapping my arms around my legs instead of just sitting lent back against the wall. "Not now Aaron," I warn him without looking up.

"Babe," He starts after a moment of silently deciding what to do, "If you want to forget about this little... break we have been having now, I'm willing to forgive you."

"Forgive you?" I ask with a lack of emotion.

"Yes, for your reckless behavior the past few weeks," He tells me surely.

"No thanks."

A darkness spreads across his face. "You're making a mistake, Toni. I'm giving you another chance -- you should take it."

"I'm good," I say as I look him dead in the eye. I'm never letting him control my life again.

"Fine," He spits, "I'm going to go have a fucking amazing night that will be better without you. You don't even know what your missing out on."

And then he storms down to the end of the corridor, walks outside and after a moment I hear the loud engine of his car as he speeds out of the school.

Completely lost, I walk out of the school in the opposite direction of my house. Going home will mean questions and if I can avoid that then I will. Absentmindedly my feet carry me to the Dusk Cafe, but I only realize after smelling the strong scent of coffee.

And then I see something I never thought I would see. An auburn haired girl's hand pressed against Aaron's chest -- right out the front of the Coffee Shop.

And it doesn't take a genius to know who the girl is, with her confidence that is radiated so brightly you could see it from a mile away. And with her perfect body, accentuated by her tight white singlet, high waisted black jeans and the crimson coat she holds in her that I know suits her so well. I blink, and when I look again there lips are pressed onto each other. How fucking cliche. I walk away without another glance.

"Dinner's ready!" My mom calls. I ignore her, refusing to move from the same spot on my bed that I haven't left for hours. The scent of Cheryl lingers on her pillow. My energy and tears have ran out and I can't feel a thing.

My door is gently knocked on, but I can't even open my mouth to tell the person to go away.

"Hey sweetie," My mom says, and any other time I would have laughed about how funny she looked sideways as I lay horizontally on my bed. "You've gotta eat something."

"I'm not hungry," I manage to say.

"Please talk to me." This is the only time she has pushed me speaking to her about this. I know she has known something is wrong but she has been giving me space. I wish she still would.

"Not right now."

"Is this about Cheryl?" She questions.

I sigh.

"Because if it is, I want you to know that I won't judge you for anything. You can talk to me." She continues.

"I saw Cheryl kissing Aaron," I tell her, struggling to care about whether she knows or not. Struggling to care about anything.

"Oh, Honey." She reaches forward and wraps her arms around me tightly. I don't make any attempt to hug her back, but I still feel safe in her warmth.

"How could she do that to me? She knows he was boyfriend. Isn't it against some code for friends to kiss your ex's?" I ask, frustrated and confused but not expecting an answer.

"Are you mad because she is kissing someone you used to date, or are you just mad that she is kissing someone?" My mom asks me softly, breaking away from the hug but holding my hand in her own. I want to pull my hand back but I keep it there to make her happy.

I think about it for a moment. "Cheryl can kiss whoever she wants, just not my ex boyfriend," I say, like I'm trying to convince someone.

My mom shoots me a small, sympathetic smile and looks at me like she knows something but isn't going to say it. She leans forward and kisses me on the forehead, saying a quick 'love you' before leaving my room and closing my door behind her.

Thankful that it's a Saturday, I finally leave my bed after hours of laying in it doing the nothing. The sun came up hours ago but I want to enjoy it since its the first warm day we have had in a while. As I make my way downstairs, I check all the rooms to find that Bella and my mom aren't home. They must be out shopping or something.

I open the front door, letting out a small scream of shock when someone is already standing in the doorway, hand up in a fist ready to knock.

"Cheryl," I let out breathlessly.

"Toni, I --" And then I snap back to reality and cut her off by closing the door in her face. She kissed him. "Toni, please. Hear me out," She begs.

I stand on the other side of the door, not ready to confront her but also not ready to walk away completely. "Look, I know you're still there," She says more quietly this time.

"I saw you..." I confess, "with Aaron."

I look through the little peep hole in the door and watch as Cheryl puts her head in her hands. "I can explain. Please let me. He kissed me, I promise."

I reluctantly open the door. Just enough to stick my head out so I can get a better read on her. It is something Aaron would do just to get back at me and prove a point, but it doesn't change the facts. Cheryl was there with him. She stood so close to him they were nearly touching. She let him kiss her.

I change my mind again, and attempt to swing the door closed but before I can, Cheryl wedges her foot in the doorway, forcing it to stay open.

I give up on trying to get away from her. "How could you do that to me? You knew about my history with him, in fact you hated him. Did you even ever care about me at all?"

Her face adopts a pained expression. A vulnerability I've never seen on her before. "I wasn't --"

"I don't care what you have to say," I tell her coldly. Her bottom lip falls heavy like the water that had already filled her eyes, and is now falling down her face. Her pouring tears dampen her shirt and her eyes swell and redden. "Please go, Cheryl."

The emotion on her face is clear as glass, but I feel nothing.

The hopelessness written all over her body disappears for a split second and she takes a step closer to me. I watch her. She stands so close to me I can hear her breathing and feel the heat from her body. She closes her puffy eyes and softly presses her lips against mine. The contact from her soft lips makes my heart beat like crazy.

I freeze, standing completely limp with my eyes open in shock. I let out a breath and find the strength to push her body away from me.

I look at the ground. "Shut the door behind you."

As she stands paralyzed in my doorway, I walk upstairs to my room, ready to fall asleep so I can give my thoughts a rest, instead of drowning in my own mind.

***

Please vote if you want me to update as soon as possible <3 Let's try and get to 35

Don't forget to also comment, follow and share if you feel like it :)

I hope you have an amazing day xxx