2

Two

This is all it took for the cafeteria that I've stepped foot in a million times to feel completely different.

I stand in the middle of the room, freshly bought food in hand, looking like a completely idiot, debating whether to be brave and take a few more steps forward, or to just sit at my usual table. My iced-tea nearly slips out of my hand from its rapid shaking. Why am I so nervous? I've done this so many times before. I know how to talk to people.

The Mysterious Girl laughs at something someone says as she sits at their table. I'm not surprised she's already fitting in with the popular crowd, including the group of cheerleaders she's currently chatting with. I wouldn't be surprised if she signed up. She's gorgeous, and has the right body for it too.

Just talk to her.

Just ask for her name. Say you recognise her. Anything.

Just as I muster up the courage to walk up to her, I jump in shock as a hand grasp my shoulder. My heart races and I place my hand on it. "Jesus, Aaron. You scared the shit out of me." I say breathily.

"What are you even doing, Toni?" Aaron questions in monotone.

"Oh... uh, I couldn't find you guys. Where's everyone else?"

"Um...where we usually sit?" He raises his voice at 'sit' like it was a question. "God, what's wrong with you today?"

I pretend that didn't bother me.

We walk towards our table where the rest of our friends are sitting happily. "Nice of you to show up, Toni." A curly haired boy laughs.

"Shut up, Matt. I can do what I want." I joke, sitting down at an empty seat.

"Same. Although it's more like who I want."

I grab one of the chips from Aaron's bowl and throw it at him, causing everyone to laugh except for him, who was holding his arms up in surrender. "Okay, okay, I get it," He complains, "Respect women."

"Good boy." I reach over the table and pat Matt mockingly on the head like a child.

"In Toni's defence you really deserved that," Summer, one of my best friends, giggles. She is the literal definition of "cute". Her cheeks are blanketed by a gorgeous layer of freckles that reach her nose. Her blue eyes have a habit of luring guys in with their twinkle of innocence – she would never realise if of course – and her colourful, patterned clothing was never revealing in the slightest, but still managed to make her look amazing.

"See? Summer agrees with me. Take that, bitch." I say, proving a point.

Matt laughs, and just as he reaches for one of his fries, probably to throw at me, my boyfriend slams his hand on the table.

"Okay, enough! Let's just eat, for fucks sake." Aaron grumbles. I don't miss the glare he shoots at Matt.

"Jeez Aaron. Who pissed in your fruit loops?" Matt provokes his best friend. His glances quickly around the room, then back down at his food, and then snaps his eyes back up likes he's doing a double take. His eyes widen at something behind me. "Don't look now but a model is walking to me."

So, as a normal person in my situation would do, I look anyway.

My jaw nearly drops when I see the new girl coming in our direction, but she isn't look at Matt, she's looking at me.

"I know you." She has the kind of voice that could melt you – soft and smooth but with unmistakable sureness in it. The kind of voice that could make your knees weak as you listen to it.

And then I realise what she said. Aaron tenses beside me, like he always does when he's angry. He always has to know everything I'm doing, who I talk to, and where I'm going, so how could this girl possible know me? He thinks I'm hiding something from him. I can read him like a book.

Every bone in my body wants to tell her she's right. I want to talk to her. I want to find out who she is. I want to figure out why she is so familiar to me – why I have dreamt about her – but I do that, I could lose Aaron. He isn't so forgiving and even though he has changed a lot, I have known him for half of my life. So I lie.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know you. I guess I just have one of those faces." And then I turn around and face my friends, leaving her standing behind me with an unknown expression on her beautiful face, and leaving me with an almost unbearably overwhelming feeling of guilt.

//
thanks so much for reading.
if u like lgbt romance books in general I have a gxg story called Comfort Zone if you wanna check it out!! <3