18

Eighteen

"Can we do something?" Cheryl stands restlessly in the middle of my room. We haven't been doing anything other than homework while laying on my bed.

After we drove away from the Sisters of Quiet Mercy—hopefully for the last time—my mom was angry. The second we walked through the doors she was yelling at us, not caring that Cheryl was with me. She had no idea where we were for hours and was very worried. I don't blame her, but I'm glad she's over it now. I can not deal with my mom being disappointed in me.

"Sure. We could go to the movies," I say, raising my tone at the end as if it were a question.

Cheryl's eyes light up. "Oh my god, I haven't been to a cinema in ages!"

Mr Brightside plays after minutes of people rambling on the radio station on the drive to the movies. I snap my head to look at Cheryl, who is looking at me with the same excitement, and the same time, we shout out the lyrics carelessly. I laugh when Cheryl gets the words wrong. A smile is plastered across her face for the entire ride and her energy is contagious.

"Wait, T, pull in here." Cheryl points to the entrance of a parking lot. I oblige, unsure of what she is thinking, instantly finding a park and pulling into it.

"What's wrong?" I ask her.

"No, nothing," She smiles, and a wave of relief washes over me. "I just thought we could buy snacks from her. Cinema food is expensive and gross, plus I'm really hungry."

I laugh. "Sure, lets do it."

We walk down the isles of the food store. Goosebumps cover my bare arms as we pass the cold food section. I see punnets of strawberries, and immediately reach out to grab 2 of them.

Cheryl chuckles, "Those are my favourites too."

I go to grab a bag of chips, but she slaps my hand away. "Hey!" I cry. I wanted those chips...

"Salt and vinegar?" She scrunches up her face in disgust. "No. We are buying popcorn."

I narrow my eyes at her. "Chips."

She takes a step closer to me, looking me dead in the eyes. "Popcorn."

"It's my money," I smirk.

"Yeah, but I have better taste," She smiles innocently, grabbing the chips from hand and throwing them back onto the shelf, replacing their well earned spot in our shopping basket with a bag of popcorn, and pulling me away before I can argue. I glare at her but she just laughs at me.

"I reckon this is enough." She looks contently at the foods we have. I ignore her immaturely, trying my best not to smile. "Oh come on Toni, I'm sorry. Next time we can get chips," She mumbles quietly, "Justnotsaltandvinegar."

"What was that?" I ask her, although I heard her perfectly.

"Nothing," She grins.

We go up to the cash registers, paying for a food and putting it in my back pack. Right as we are about to walk out the door, I see a red-haired person walking towards them.

My eyes widen. "Shit," I curse. Cheryl follows my line of sight, freezing in her place when she spots her mother. "This way!" I direct her urgently down a hall with doors that lead to a bathroom at the end of it. We stand silently with our backs against the wall as Mrs Blossom walks by.