21

Twenty One

CHERYL

I need to get drunk. I speed walk to Dawn Nightclub under the Coffee Shop, dumping my stuff out back before walking into the room that still manages to be dark even though it is filled with ultraviolet lights and colours beaming across the ground. Sweaty bodies crowd the dance floor and are in sync with the blaring music.

I walk up to the bar, and take a seat on a wooden stool. "Hey Joey," I say to my friend.

The bartender look confused until his focus lands on me. "Oh, Cheryl," He lets out a sigh of relief, then gives me a look of worry. "What's wrong?"

"That easy to tell, huh?" I ask, trying to avoid the question.

"You look crushed," He tells me simply.

I shrug. "Can I please have a shot of anything strong."

He looks at me sympathetically. "You know I'm not allowed to give you anything. You're underage."

I look at him with puppy dog eyes.

"Fine," He sighs, sliding me a shot of vodka, "But don't tell the boss."

He winks at me, and I smile at him gratefully. I down it quickly, wincing slightly at the burn. He then passes me a mixed, pale pink glass of something I know I've never tried before. I take a sip of my drink, thankful that I can barely taste the alcohol.

I finish it in 10 minutes, and I can feel it enough for it to help me drown out the loud thoughts of certain girl, but it doesn't do much else. Joey refuses to give me another one, and although I want to argue, getting smashed tonight probably wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. Who knows what mess I could get myself into when I'm this much of a wreck.

Looking around the room I spot Toni's disgusting ex boyfriend. Everything about him makes me hate him. The creepy looks he gives people when he looks at them for a little too long, and his huge amount of arrogance and incessant need to be in control of everything. And he's in this club. I don't fucking think so. It may be the only one of two clubs in this town but I don't care. He can go find somewhere else.

I strut over to him. When he doesn't notice me I tap him on the shoulder.

"You need to leave." I tell him bluntly, not even bothering to spare a glance for any of his friends.

He smirks evilly and looks me up and down, "I thought you were a bitch for turning Toni against me but damn, you're hot."

I roll my eyes. "Get the fuck out of here."

He doesn't move, just stands up straighter and raises his eyebrow, the cocky smirk still playing at his lips.

"Fine, if you won't then I will." Annoyed, I find the exit, speeding up when I feel him coming after me. He follows me up the narrow stairs and all the way through Dusk until we are standing out the front of the Coffee Shop that is for some reason still open at this hour.

I stop and turn around to face him, and he comes to a halt a little to close for comfort. "The fuck do you think you're doing?" I spit.

"Calm down, babe. Let's go back inside. Or we can go somewhere if you would rather that." I want to rip the smirk off his face.

"Are you drunk?" I ask.

He takes a step closer to me and the pungent scent of whiskey instantly fills the air surrounding him. "Do you want me to be?"

I wrinkle up my nose, repulsed, I put my hand out, stopping his body from moving any closer to me.

Before I know what happening he smashes his lips onto mine. With the hand that was already pushing against his chest, I shove him as hard as I can.

"Babe," He starts.

I wipe my mouth with my sleeve. "Get the fuck away from me. You're disgusting."

Aaron reaches forward and grabs onto my arm. His nails dig into my skin from his tight grip. Completely fed up, I throw my arm back and punch him in the eye.

I don't feel the throbbing pain until I'm almost back inside, and I grip my fist tightly in attempt to numb it. I walk down the stairs, but stop at the door to talk to security, a guy named Andrew who has been working here ever since it opened.

"Can you do me a favor?" I ask him.

"Sure, Cheryl. What's up?" He questions with curiosity and concern.

"Did you see that guy that followed me out before?" He nods, "Can you not let him in if he comes back?"

"Of course. Are you okay, though? Did he --"

"No, no, everything is fine. He's just a complete dick." I explain.

Andrew nods his head understandingly. "Don't worry about it. You have a good night. He won't be getting back in there."

I thank him and go back into the club, but instead of sitting at bar, I go straight out the back so I can get to sleep in the only place I have to go.

Days later, I'm left standing despairingly in the doorway of Toni's house. A cool breeze of morning air hits my back, and my front faces the stairs Toni just walked up after telling me to leave, and close the door behind me. I deserve this for letting Aaron go anywhere near me. I deserve this for not talking to Toni about it sooner. I deserve this for ending whatever this was with her in the first place.

And our first kiss? I definitely didn't want it to be me, desperately praying that her lips touching mine would magically change everything. And because of me, that could quite possibly be our last kiss.

But it only took these past weeks for me to not be able to imagine my life without her. The pale pink tips of her hair; her body that turns heads without her having any idea about the effect she has on people; even just her smile alone is enough for me to not want to give up on this. I can't just let her go.

Without giving myself a chance to change my own mind, I race up the stairs after her.

***

Please vote if you liked it and you wanna read more <3
Aaron makes me so mad lol just writing about him frustrates me.
I hope you have an amazing day xxx