Imagine XV

Your P.O.V.

     Your termination was imminent. You knew that and welcomed it. Until you remembered something. Your grandfather had left you a note and said to open it when everything became too much. If that wasn't now, you didn't know when it would be. When you broke the wax seal and read the scrawling script inside, you broke down into hideous sobs right at your desk and then ran out to the sharp blares of  "WORK SPACE 6975C HAS BEEN VACATED WORK SPACE 6975C PLEASE RETURN FOR TERMINATION"

"WORK SPACE 6975C IS VACANT"

"WORK SPACE 6975C PLEASE RETURN FOR TERMINATION"

"WORK SPACE 697-"

     The blaring cut off as the heavy metal door clacked closed behind you. You ran straight to the bus station and bought a ticket to Stardew Valley, where your grandfather's old farm was. You left everything except for the picture of you and Shane that you always kept with you. You threw your Joja ID card aside into a pile of trash on the street and waited for the bus to take you away from the city, away from everything reminding you of Shane.

     The bus ride was quiet. No one else seemed to be travelling to the valley in which you spent much of your childhood. When you arrived, the mayor was waiting at the bus stop. Apparently, a ticket being bought to the valley when there wasn't a festival, was a very, very rare occurrence. He led you to your grandfather's old farm and introduced you to the town's carpenter, Robin. You told the Mayor that your grandfather had asked you to greet him and the mayor had a clear moment of nostalgia before advising that you introduce yourself to the townspeople, and leaving you to your business.

     You looked around through new eyes. Everything here was so wild. So clean. And the mess was a welcome distraction. There was nothing here to remind you of Shane or Joja. 

     Or so you thought. One day, while exploring, forraging, and introducing yourself to absolutely anyone you could find, your heart plummeted. The town had a Joja Mart. You thought you had escaped. Your body began to shake and you ran home and slept until the next day. 

     You'd been in town for almost a week and had a manageable situation on your farm. You decided that it would be nice to take a break and go to the pub. Maybe there were still people you hadn't met. The nice lady that lived to the south of you had mentioned that she had a nephew named Shane that worked at Joja. Your heart shattered at the mention of the name but you had nodded politely and said that you hoped to meet him one day. 

     When you walked into the pub, you were greeted with a warm atmosphere. The owner, Gus, you learned, was a jolly man who welcomed you warmly, and the bar maid, Emily, was someone with whom you had spoken a few times. It was a Friday night, so you expected to meet quite a few people. You recognized the bus driver, Pam, sitting at the bar, and the man who'd given you a fishing rod, Willy, sitting at a table. Next to the table danced Robin and her husband Demetrius and Clint walked in and joined Willy. The animal lady, Marnie, drank with Mayor Lewis, and you could hear the sound of games coming from a room off to your right. You wandered that way, enjoying the cozy feeling of the dimly-lit saloon. Inside you saw people closer to your age. There was Sam, the boy with super saiyan hair, Sebastian, Robins's son, and Abigail, the daughter of the general store owner who looked nothing like her father. You talked to each of them a little but it was all empty. You wandered back out and walked up to the bar where Emily chatted casually with you while she worked. 

     Out of the corner of your eye, you noticed a dark figure drinking in the shadows next to the fire place. It was no wonder that you'd missed him, he was in the darkest part of the saloon, and moved only to bring his bottle to his mouth.