April Foals

Gemstone was walking down the path towards the Cutie Mark Crusaders Clubhouse. At least, she thought she was going that way. She stopped at a fork in the road and frowned.

"Was the Clubhouse left or right?" she asked herself. "And which way's left again?"

"Pssst."

She glanced around, trying to find the source of the voice.

"Gem!"

A rainbow head popped out of the bush beside her. The pony's blue hoof beckoned her close.

"Over here!" she whispered.

"Prism?" Gemstone responded. "What are you doing in there?"

The unicorn filly let out a cry as the pegasus dragged her into the bush.

"Stay down!" Prism whispered harshly. "And keep quiet!"

"What's going on?" Gemstone inquired.

Prism tucked some of the branches aside so she could get a view of the crossroad. "I'm waiting for the Tri-Pies."

"But why are we hiding?"

"Because I'm gonna prank them so hard, they'll shame their grandchildren! All nine of them!"

"Nine?"

"Their mom had triplets. They're sure to have them too."

"But why would you want to prank them?"

"Because every April Foals' Day, they get every pony, including me, with an elaborate prank and are named the Supreme April Foals! Well, not this year! This year, I'm getting the ultimate prankster title!"

Gemstone blinked. "April Foals' Day?"

Prism rolled her eyes. "Come on, Gem! Don't tell me you haven't heard of April Foals' Day?!"

"Oh, I've heard of it. I just forgot it was today. That would explain that piece of paper that was stuck to my tail this morning. By the way, what does Kach Ne mean?"

"For once, Gem, be glad you can't read."

"Oh, I never liked April Foals' Day. The colts and fillies back in Canterlot would always play mean tricks on me. Last year, they glued the teacher's Bunk Cap to my head."

"The what cap?"

"The Bunk Cap. It was this tall cone hat the teacher put on our heads whenever we were misbehaving and then sent us to the corner..."

"Dunce, Gem! Dunce!"

The unicorn gasped. "I'm not a dunce! How dare you?!"

"No, I didn't..." Prism put her hoof to her head. "Never mind. Anyway, I've been thinking about how I was going to get back at the Tri-Pies ever since last April Foals' Day, and after careful planning, I think I've finally got it!"

"What?"

Prism smiled as she pulled out an airhorn. "Once they come, I'm going to jump out in front of them and blow this airhorn in their faces!"

The pegasus waited eagerly for her friend's response, but she only raised an eyebrow at her.

"You've been planning this all year," the unicorn said flatly, "and that was the best you could come up with?"

Prism bit her lip. "Actually, this was my mom's idea."

Gemstone shook her head.

"So I'm not an ingenious prankster! Sue me! It's better than a 'Kick Me' sign."