Baby Boo

Gemstone smelled something fishy when she entered the kitchen that morning. Well, it wasn't fishy, but waffle-y. It was who was making what was causing the smell that was fishy.

Sweetie Belle was at the waffle maker. It's not that Gemstone was surprised to see her aunt in her house. She had been staying at Carousel Boutique to help Rarity during her last few weeks of pregnancy. What surprised Gemstone was the fact that her aunt was cooking, and no matter how old she'd get, her mother would never let Sweetie Belle cook unsupervised.

Something was definitely fishy...or waffle-y.

"Um, Aunt Sweetie?" Gemstone said, clearing her throat. "What are you doing?"

Sweetie Belle looked down at her niece and laughed. "You mean what am I doing in the kitchen without my sister hovering over my shoulder? Well, kiddo, it just so happens that I'm in charge here while your parents are at the hospital."

The filly tilted her head. "The hospital? What's wr—?"

Her eyes grew big as realization came to her. "You mean...?"

Sweetie Belle nodded. "Rarity's water broke last night."

"That would explain the screeching I heard." Gemstone grinned. "So she's coming? My baby sister's coming?!"

"Yup," the mare replied as she used her magic to levitate the waffles out of the cooker and onto two plates. "They didn't wanna wake you, so they asked me to stay with you. They expect us to head on over there after breakfast."

"What are we waiting for then?! Let's go!"

Gemstone galloped out of the kitchen.

"Gem, wait!" Sweetie Belle called. "Your mom will kill me if she finds out you didn't eat your breakfast!"

The filly returned and stuffed the waffle in her mouth.

"Awl duh!" she grumbled before racing off again.

Sweetie Belle shook her head as she followed her, her waffle floating beside her.

Gemstone pressed her face against the glass as she searched the cradles of newborns.

"Which one is she?"

"She's still with her mother," Nurse Redheart said. "This way."

Sweetie Belle took her niece's hoof and followed the nurse. Gemstone grew more and more nervous as they walked through the maternity ward.

"Do you think she'll like me?" she whispered to her aunt.

"Of course, she will," Sweetie Belle replied. "She's your little sister. Little sisters always look up to their big sisters. I know from experience."

"Here we are," Nurse Redheart announced, opening one of the doors.

Rarity was in bed, wearing a blue hospital gown, Fancy Pants standing over her. As Gemstone approached her parents, she realized they were staring down at a small bundle in her mother's hooves. They looked at their daughter and smiled.

"Gemstone," Rarity whispered, holding out the bundle. "Come see your new baby sister."

Gemstone stood on her hind legs and placed her front hooves on the bed to get a closer look. Wrapped in a blanket was a little, round, white head. A horn so small, it might as well be the tip of a pencil came up from its forehead, a strand of lavender curling around it.

"My sister," Gemstone whispered in awe.

"Her name is Jewel," Fancy Pants said, lifting his elder daughter onto the bed.