forty-two

DIEGO

"Mija!¡Diego está aquí!" Zara's dad called from the living room. I had gotten there only a few minutes before, but her dad told me she would be ready soon. I sat on the couch and bounced my leg as I waited for her.

("Mija! Diego is here!")

"Sólo un minuto, está casi lista!" A woman yelled back, I assumed it was Zara's dad's girlfriend— who I heard was super nice and Zara liked a lot. Zara's dad came and sat down in a chair across from me. We talked for a few minutes before I heard feet running on the hardwood.

("Just a minute, she's almost ready!")

"She's all ready," Zara's dad's girlfriend said, who must've helped Zara get ready. I stood up and stuck my hands in my pocket as I waited for her to come out. I held a white rose corsage, which I had to look up what it was, in a container in my hand. I looked down at myself, this was the first time in probably ten or more years that I had worn a suit. It didn't go with my style, but I would do anything to make her happy.

I heard clicking on the hardwood floors coming from the hallway. I felt anxious to see her, I knew whatever she had on was beautiful.

She finally came into the room and my jaw dropped open as I looked her up and down. Her dress was gorgeous— she was gorgeous.

Her hair was left down on the underneath part and put up in a small ponytail on the top. All of it was slightly curled at the ends. She had minimal makeup on, it looked like she wasn't wearing barely any.

Her dress was gorgeous. The gold complimented her skin tone nicely and the style showed off her body so well. The dress was just enough to enhance her and not make it so the dress was the star of the show, but she was. It highlighted her in the best ways possible.

(I never put reference pics but this is the dress she's wearing)

"Wow," I said quietly as she looked down at the dress and patted it down. She looked up to meet my eyes, then blushed and smile, then chuckled quietly.

"I look okay?" She asked and I nodded.

"More than okay. You're so beautiful," I told her and she smiled even wider. She walked over to me and I grabbed her hand. I gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek and she looked up to me as smiled.

"You look handsome," she said to me.

"Thank you, baby," I whispered to her.

I pinned the roses onto the band on her wrist, and she pinned mine to my jacket. Her dad and his girlfriend stood and watched as we stood talking to each other.

"Alright, you know I have to get pictures of you two before you go," her dad said and Zara nodded as she smiled. She grabbed my hand and led me to the front yard. Her dad brought out a Nikon camera and made us pose for pictures. After ten or fifteen minutes she shut her dad down and he stopped with a reluctant smile.