Chapter 9: Paralyzed

Sebastian's POV: I decided to go with Maggie to the Hilltop. She's already got a lot of shit on her hands with delivering news of the kid's death, perhaps I can help to lighten the load. I shouldn't be calling him a kid, he's my age. But he was young and not as hardened as the rest of us. So yeah, the kid.

From the little bit I've been here today, I know Gregory's up to something. For those of you who are unaware, Gregory used to lead the Hilltop. According to Maggie he decided to let everyone vote for a new leader. It was between him and Maggie. Guess who won by a landslide? Anyways, something tells me he's upset about losing, I can see it in his eyes. I'm not sure what he's planning, but I know he's up to something.

Everyone held a funeral for the kid. His parents are pissed at Maggie for the whole thing, claiming it's her fault he died. If anything it's the kid's fault. We told him not to go back for the horse, Tom especially. He should've listened. Yes the death is sad, any death of one of our own is upsetting. But don't put the blame on someone who tried to prevent it. Maggie and I watched everything from the balcony of her house. She took care of Hershel Jr., I tried to help but I don't think he likes me.

Eventually, when everything was wrapped up and the Hilltop was silent, she took the baby for a walk. I went to go sleep in one of the guest trailers, but something felt off. Something just didn't feel right, like everything was too quiet and calm. Sure enough, my gut feeling was right. I heard something fall, a scream, and a baby crying. I followed the noise to find Maggie being jumped, Hershel Jr. crying on the ground after being knocked out of his stroller. I went to pull the guy off of Maggie, but he quickly pushed me back, causing me to fall on the ground. Something dug into my back hitting my spine, but before I could scream in pain I hit my head and was knocked out cold.

Tom's POV: I could barely catch my breath. Eric snuggled in close to my chest, both of us smiling at what just happened.

"Was it as good for you as it was for me?" Eric joked.

"Of course. I expected nothing less from you." I said before kissing his forehead, "Thank goodness we finally had enough alone time to do it." Just then the doorbell rang, making me let out a groan.

"Spoke too soon eh?" Eric said as I got up.

"At least they learned to use the doorbell." I said before slipping on a robe and heading downstairs. Sure enough, there stood Blackie when I opened the door. "What do you need?"

"We have an emergency at the Hilltop. You need to come. Now." He said. His demeanor told me something serious happened.

"Give me a few minutes to change. I'll be right back." I quickly ran upstairs and threw on some clothes.

"What's going on?" Eric asked, sitting up in the bed.

"Emergency. That's all I know." I said, "I'll be back soon, you just rest." I kissed him goodbye before I followed Blackie out. "Catch me up." I said as he drove.

"From what I've heard Maggie was assaulted and Gregory was behind it." He explained.

"Jesus fucking christ." I said, using one hand to rub my temples.

"Maggie's executing him tonight." Blackie continued.

"Well all least something positive is coming out of this." I said. Blackie was eerily silent. As if he wasn't telling me everything. "Blackie, what else happened?" I sternly asked. He sighed.

"Sebastian was there, you know that." He started, "Well, he saw it and tried to get the guy away from Maggie. Ended up being pushed as knocked out."

"Is that all?" I asked, fearing there was more to the story.

"Something hit his spine during the fall." Blackie said, "Tom, he's paralyzed." My heart dropped. This isn't good. One of my top guys is paralyzed. Yes Sebastian is more of a strategist compared to a hands on guy like Blackie, but he's still a big help, better than Nikki and Slash at least.

"Is he ok other than that?" I tried to lighten the mood.

"Siddiq went to check on him and says he's fine." Blackie replied, "He's pretty sure the paralysis is temporary though, so there's some good news." That came as a bit of relief for me.

When we finally arrived at the Hilltop, we met us with Sebastian, who was obviously in a wheelchair.

"You alright?" I asked.

"I've been better." He replied, "Luckily Siddiq thinks this shouldn't be permanent." Maggie finally started her speech, condemning Gregory for everything he did. Right before Daryl went to pick the horse out from underneath Gregory to hang him, I turned and saw two kids walking up.

"Maggie wait!" I yelled, not wanting the kids to see this, but I was too late. The horse went running and Gregory was hung, choking to death instead of his neck being snapped. "Get the kids back in bed now!" I yelled. Michonne ran to get them away from the horrifying scene. It's a good thing that Gregory is finally gone, hell, I'm glad he suffered. I just wish those little kids didn't have to see it. Dear God, I hope they couldn't see over the tall adults...