Chapter 3: Scars

Tom's POV: Eric seemed hesitant, as if he didn't want to intrude. He probably can't believe what's happening as much as I can't.

"Eric," I said, "It's ok. This is your home now too. Just make yourself comfortable."

He was still a little hesitant, but he eventually sat down on the couch, familiarizing himself with the house.

"The guys told me what you've been going through lately." Eric finally broke the silence. I turned to face him. "I'm treading lightly because I don't want to trigger you, that's all."

"How could you trigger me?" I said, sitting down next to him, "This is the happiest I've been in a long damn time. You don't know how much better I feel seeing you. I finally have someone I care about again, and it just so happens to be my best friend from before all of this. I can't even begin to explain how happy I am to have you here right now. What could you do that would make me upset?"

"I just - I don't wanna say the wrong thing." He said, "I don't wanna say anything that'll remind you of-" he trailed off.

"Remind me off?" I asked.

"Her." Eric finally said.

My heart skipped a beat, I knew exactly who he was talking about.

"It's ok." I said, "I'm learning to cope with it."

I tried to distract myself, but spotted something on Eric's hand. A scar, and a big one at that. Almost as if his hand was slashed by a knife. That wasn't there before the outbreak. I definitely would have noticed it if it were. Eric noticed my staring, and was quick to cover the scar with his other hand. I lifted my head up to look at him, but he refused to look me in the eye. Concerned, I grabbed his hand to take a closer look. He shifted a little, almost ashamed. It was as if he didn't want me to see it. I traced the scar with my thumb, trying to put together the pieces since Eric wasn't telling me anything. Just then, I felt something on Eric's palm. I turned his hand over, only to see a much larger scar. Both of them were healed, but they sure didn't look like it.

"Eric what happened?" I asked. He still refused to look at me. "Eric." My voice became stern. I was concerned about what happened to him, and his silence on the matter scared me. He finally looked back at me before letting out a sigh.

"Did anyone tell you about the Whisperers?" He eventually said.

"Blackie told me. Didn't say much though." I replied.

"Well, Slash and I have had a couple run-ins with them." He explained, "More than a couple acually. These people, they're vicious. One day, I was out on my own and got jumped by one. When he got me to the ground, he took my stuff and tried to kill me. The only way I could stop him was by getting the knife out of the equation. Unfortunately I ended up grabbing the blade, which resulted in the one on my palm. The other's from him violently slashing the knife everywhere." His eyes strayed away from me and towards his arms. That's when I noticed multiple other scars there, all less gastly than the ones on his hand. "He gashed open my arms a few times as well."

I was speechless by this point. He seems embarrassed by all these scars, but he shouldn't be. He should be proud, it means he fought off this guy with his bare hands. I feel horrible for him though.

"Eric, I-" I attempted to get something out, but couldn't.

"Can we just talk about something else?" Eric hastly tried to change the subject. I just nodded.

I don't know why, but I feel - different around Eric right now. I can't quite figure out what it is, but something feels off. Not in a bad way though, that's why I'm confused. It's just - I just - I just want to hold him in my arms right now and never let go. But why? As I'm looking at him right now, I feel strange inside, kind of like butterflies in my stomach. I've never felt this way around him. What is going on with me?...