Chapter 14

Autumn

My alarm awoke me from my sleep, but I had no desire to get up. I didn't want to go to school, or anywhere for that matter.

It's been two weeks since I've talked to Jason. He's been ignoring and avoiding me, but I have no idea why.

Did I do something wrong? Did he loose interest in me?

I tried asking Seth, but he won't tell me. He says, "It's probably nothing.", but I know it's not. Something's up, and I'm going to find out what it is.

I threw the comforter off my body and sat up in my bed, lifting a hand to rub my heavy eyelids. I pushed myself off my bed and trudged into my bathroom. Turning the water in the sink on cold, I cupped my hands to catch some water and splashed it on my face to wake myself up more.

After I dressed myself I threw my tangled hair into a messy bun and went downstairs. When I got down the stairs I went into the kitchen to find my mom making some coffee.

"Good morning, sweetie." She mumbled tiredly.

"G'morning." I replied.

"Sorry I didn't make breakfast, I slept in a little."

"It's fine, mom. You need sleep." I told her. "You should go back to bed, you look exhausted.

"But-"

"No buts, except your's which is going upstairs and back into your bed." I ordered, pushing her out of the kitchen and towards the stairs.

She sighed in defeat. "Fine, but what will you eat for breakfast?"

"I'll eat a muffin, now go back to sleep."

"Alright, alright." She laughed, heading up the stairs. "Oh, and have a good day at school."

"Okay, mom."

I went back into the kitchen and ate a blueberry muffin like I told my mom I would, since I know she'd notice if I didn't. After I finished my breakfast I went back up to my room and brushed my hair and teeth, then I put my shoes on.

~~

I arrived at school and immediately went to my locker, ignoring the stares I still received, even though I haven't been talking to Jason and I barely talk to Seth.

When I walked into Ms. Brown's class I wasn't surprised when Jason wasn't at his desk, he's been coming in late for the past couple of weeks.

The bell rung and everyone took their seats, but Jason's was still unoccupied.

Five minutes later, it was still empty.

Ten minutes later, he hadn't shown up.

Fifteen minutes later, still no Jason.

~~

I hadn't seem Jason the whole day, he never came to school. Same with Seth, why would they skip?

When I got home my mom was in the living room watching "The First 48", one of her favorite shows.

"Hey, mom."

"Hey, honey. How was school?"

"Good." I replied as I ascended the staircase.

I had a ton of homework and it took me hours to do, I also had a book report that was due in a few weeks that I had to start on. I didn't finish all my work till later in the day, it was almost starting to get dark and it was around dinner time.

"Autumn!" My mom called from downstairs. "Dinner's ready!"

~~

After dinner I went back up to my room and laid on my bed, staring up at the ceiling.