Chapter 10

When Kara gets home Alex and Maggie are half asleep on the couch, a movie playing quietly in the background.
"Happy frickin' new year," Kara says to them as she plops down on the end of the couch.
"I take it your date didn't go very well?" Alex asks gently, as she peers around Maggie.
"She has a boyfriend." Kara pouts.
"Oh honey, lets get you some ice cream." Alex says reaching over her girlfriend to comfort her sister
"I'll get it," Maggie says getting off the couch, "I don't want to be sandwiched into another bone crushing hug,"
"You sure you don't want to tell me who it is?" Alex says as Maggie leaves the room.
"I'm sure." They sit, hugging, in silence for a minute.
"Surely something good must've happened tonight?" Alex asks her sister gently.
"Well I got to see Diana and Bruce, so that was good, also, though I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this, Lena and James are dating."
"What?!" Maggie exclaims as she returns with ice-cream in hand, "I could've sworn she was-?"
"I mean I'm happy for them and everything, but she didn't even tell me she liked him!" Kara continues her rant, barely noticing Maggie's outburst.
"I think you need to start dating again too, and get over this crush of yours."
"Ugh!" Kara pouts, "I'll think about it." She says quietly before digging into her ice cream.
————————
The next morning Kara's making breakfast. "Good morning Makenna!"
"Hi mommy," Kenna replies, practically running into the kitchen.
"There's only a week until your birthday! How old are you going to be again?" Kara asks pretending???
"This many!" Kenna says holding up four fingers as high as she can.
"Wow!" Kara says picking her daughter up and spinning her around, "that's so many!" Kenna giggles as Kara sets her back down. "What do you want to do for your birthday this year?" Kara asks as she turns back to making breakfast and Kenna sits at the table.
"I want a huge party with everybody I know!" Kenna replies, "And! Everything has to be blue," she says as seriously as she can.
"Hmm. I think we can do that."
——————

It's finally Kenna's birthday and of course Lena and James, Winn, And Maggie And Alex are there, but there's also some of the parents from daycare and their kids. Alex gets hit hard with baby fever. Maggie pretends to be indifferent, but Kara catches her being sweet, helping a toddler reach a balloon. "You tell anyone about this, I'll tell Alex who you like." Maggie teases
"Please, you don't know who it is," Kara   says confidently.
"Please, you've been staring at her all day, and you just happen to find out your crush gets a boyfriend the same time Lena does?" Maggie retorts.
"Shh!" Kara exclaims quietly, glancing around to make sure no one heard.
"Relax, I wouldn't tell anyone, but you're so obvious." A knock at the door prevents Kara from replying.
"Lucy? What are you doing here?" Kara asks as she opens the door to reveal her friend, and occasional coworker, Lucy Lane.
"Alex and Kenna invited me, I hope that's okay,"
"Of course, of course!" Kara says pulling her in for a hug, "Come on in."
Kara introduces Lucy to the people she doesn't know, she's already been aquatinted many times with Kara's closest friends. Despite this Lucy sticks pretty close to Kara's side for most of the afternoon, she's always been better friends with Kara and Alex. Lena also happens to gravitate towards Kara quite often. So often in fact that if Kara didn't know better she'd think Lena was jealous. Kara wasn't complaining though, she liked having them around.

"Where's the birthday girl? It's time for cake!" Kara calls bringing the all blue cake out from the kitchen. She's met with a chorus of "CAKE!" From the children, and Winn. She places the cake in front of Kenna while Alex gets a picture of them. "Make a wish," Kara whispers to her daughter. Kenna closes her eyes and blows out all four candles. "Happy birthday honey," Kara says while giving Kenna a hug.
———
Alex notices Lucy has a bit of a crush on Kara, it was her intention to set them up anyway, so things are going well so far. "How are things with you lately? Are you seeing anyone?" Alex asks innocently, when she finally gets a chance to talk to Lucy alone.
"Not at the moment," Lucy replies with a sigh.
"You sound like Kara," Alex says with a laugh, "I'm trying to get her to start dating again, she's getting over this girl right now." Lucy tries to hid her surprise at the mention of girl, but Alex notices the brief, but excited, smile on her friends face.
——
After most of the people have gone home Lucy catches Kara before she leaves, "Would you like to go out for dinner with me sometime?" She  asks before she can lose her nerve.
"Of course! We need to catch up, it's been too long. lets do it soon." Lucy just smiles before turning to Kenna.
"And you, birthday girl," Kenna giggles at that, "next time you're at the DEO I've got some new controls for you to check out."
"Yaayy!" Kenna squeals.
"I'll see you soon," Kara hugs Lucy again before she leaves.