chapter 1 - The cold winter[edited]

It was London, 1890, the streets were dark and cold, it was winter and by this time everyone was home, I was walking faster and faster, trying to get home sooner. the cold wind touching my cheeks made my skin hurt from the bruises that were left there. I struggled to get home wearing a fur coat and my long hair trying to cover my face, but it was hard from the strong wind blowing my direction. I finally came home and opened the door to see my husband Cole waiting for me with a furious face... I knew I was in trouble, but I couldn't escape him, I had no other place to go, I thought to myself as I closed the door behind me.

"where the bloody hell were you?!"

he gets his belt out ready to swipe his hand to hit me.

"Please don't, I was at my friend's place, Sophie, you know her"

 "staying out this late?! this doesn't fit any wife!"

he is so mad, his face turns red, I hide my face with my hands before he hits me.

Looking back one year, I was a smart student, I should have never agreed to marry him, I never wanted this my parents forced me, they said such nice things about him, I never doubt them

I was happy, finishing my third year at UCL London's global university, I was hardworking one of the best in my class. one day when I came home my mom and dad had a look, a look like something is going to happen, that I didn't know!

"Welcome home dear, why don't you make some tea"

"sure mom.."

I wish I knew what they were planning all along...

"Darling we need to talk to you"

"what is it? I noticed you and dad being a bit weird today"

"We have decided that you should get married"

I almost drop the tea set with my shaky hands.

"what,  get married? but I... I haven't even finished university, and you told me you will let me go study mom"

"you will drop all your studies and get married to Mr. Cole, he has a firm, he earns a lot, it would be perfect"  -she sips her tea.

I go in complete shock I stop hearing everything around me and think of a future where i am a loyal wife... no that can't be! that is not me

"no!" -I yell

"I won't be one of those un-educated girls, those girls who have no life except being a loyal servant to someone!"

"Kathrene! don't talk to your parents like that!"

"I only want to finish university, and then if I find someone good, and trustworthy, then I will settle in, but not now, my life is still not over damn it!"

"young lady, do not swear!, you will get to know Mr. cole he is a nice person and when the time is right you will get married"

"dad?" -I turn his way

"We only want what's best for you, and we won't be here forever, you need to have a family that can take care of you, a husband that will provide"

Months after, we arrange a small wedding and celebrate, but what can I celebrate, my life ending, my education thrown to waste! this is the worst day ever...

After we got married I saw what kind of monster he is, he will beat me for no reason at all sometimes, other times he makes me dress up in very open clothes, and makes me dance or even abuse me and show me off with his friends!

even if people knew, which they do, they don't do anything, they mind their own business, even after they see me with bruises, they do not speak!  

I have nowhere to go, no one to help me, I am on my own.  I open my eyes barely to see myself in a back ally, my clothes dirty and ripped apart... I give up I let myself go because there is nothing worth living for... suddenly I see a dark figure standing and watching me with red eyes glancing and watching if anyone is around, when it comes closer to me I realize it's a man with black hair, chiseled jaw, and eyes like azure wearing a fedora and a long coat.

he comes and kneels down to me, I expected him to yell for help, but instead, his mouth opens and fangs come out, and he bites my hand.

what I felt has no words.

The pain was excruciating but the adrenalin and the poisonous venom lift me up feeling so euphoric and alive as I've never lived before. I was going up in the clouds and I felt like I was dying at the same time, I felt my body change. and suddenly I woke up somewhere where I've never been, staring at a stranger's face.