Chapter 10

"You want to? Seriously?" Kurt asked again.

"Yes, I think it's something we could work around. There are things that need to be addressed first, but overall, yes. Yes, I'm serious." Kurt carefully put the plate he was holding in the sink and nodded at Blaine.

"Let's go to another room to talk. Jules only fell asleep half an hour ago and I'd like it if it stayed that way." Blaine chuckled at that and followed Kurt into one of the guest rooms.

"Hard day with him?"

"Well, I didn't know that a boy his age could run that fast and spread dough as quickly as he did. But turns out your son is one of a kind and we only managed to cook half of the batter we actually prepared. The rest ended up in my hair or on his clothes." Kurt silently closed the door but not completely so they could hear if the boy woke up.

"Grocery shopping and cooking aren't the most calming activities. But neither of you died so I guess it was a success in the end?"

"It was nice, yeah. Tiring as hell but nice." They both sat on the bed, smiling awkwardly and trying to come up with something to say. It wasn't such an easy change to make especially given their situation and none of them knew where to start the conversation.

"What would it entail, then?" Blaine finally asked after few seconds of silence.

"Well, you and Jules could live here, you would both have your own room and it would be like being flatmates except that we're both adult and Jules is a child."

"Our child." Blaine pointed, knowing perfectly well that Kurt had never talked about Jules in those terms.

"Uh, yes, exactly."

"Still not saying it?"

"I'm trying, I know it's just baby steps but I'm trying." Blaine smiled and nodded at Kurt, taking his hands and squeezing it.

"It's alright, it takes time, especially after..." Blaine took a deep breath and continued. "Especially when someone just dropped that bomb after so many years." This time it was Kurt's turn to squeeze Blaine's hands. It was the most they had done in terms of touching since their encounter two weeks before and Kurt couldn't help but notice how even after all those years It was still amazing how his hands fit so well into Blaine's.

"Okay well, um, what would this mean then? Where does that leave us? Jules, me you?" Kurt cocked his head to the side and bit his bottom lip in worry.

"It would be like a trial? For us, as a ...family?" Blaine's eyes widened in shock at the word. He didn't expect Kurt to use it that quickly or to mention it at all. But there it was, the word was out there, heavy with meaning.

"Okay. Let's give this a try then. But what will happen in three or four months time, what will happen when you'll have to leave?" Kurt didn't say that it was more likely to be in two months rather than three. It was not what the conversation was about.

"I didn't think that far." Kurt admitted, worried that it might be the point where Blaine stopped all conversation and refused altogether.

"We need to be careful then, because we need to explain the situation to Jules and it has to be clear for him. He is a boy and we can't just change his world and then change it back again just because we don't know what we're doing." There was no reproach in Blaine's voice. It was just a discussion with warning between two adults, two parents about how to best handle a tricky situation. Kurt liked it. He liked how everything seemed important, how every little detail mattered. He liked how Blaine was worried about his child and didn't think for one second about himself. Kurt had always known that Blaine was selfless but witnessing it was something Kurt didn't know how to respond to.