Chapter 12

They tiptoed around each other for a couple of days, blushing every time their fingers touched, whenever they held each other's gaze for a little too long and when they were in the other's way and stepped to the side at the same time.

Kurt was still confused about what had happened the night they had gone out. He knew that he liked the bond they were all sharing more and more, the almost-family they were creating little by little. He knew that having Blaine helping him become a parent and just having him here was bound to cloud his mind. It was nice, more than nice actually, but Kurt was having issues separating the things he liked about their family and what was inherent to Blaine and not their situation. He didn't know if Blaine felt the same way and didn't want to bring it up, not ready to talk about it. Besides, Kurt liked seeing Blaine blush, it was a good look on him.

What was also always in Kurt's mind was what he had heard Jules tell his father. The little boy was feeling like he had done something wrong, that Kurt didn't like him and it was all because of how Kurt was behaving toward him. He was trying, he repeated to himself, but apparently just trying wasn't good enough. He needed to really behave like a father with Jules, because Kurt didn't want the child to feel like he didn't like him or that he was doing something wrong. He just couldn't have that. Kurt thought hard about what the child might want to do or how to show him that he liked him. Kurt played several scenarios in his head, wishing that one of them would actually work.

Kurt planned what was, according to him, the best plan ever. It was basic but the man was absolutely sure that it would work. On his way back from work, Kurt stopped at a toy store and wandered around. It had been a good plan until now. Kurt found himself walking in circles in the shop, seeing toys that he thought Jules might like before doubting himself and putting it down. He stayed in the store for an hour and a half, picking at least ten toys before putting them back. Kurt was pissed, not at the store but at himself, buying something was supposed to be fun and a way to show people that you knew them and liked them. But buying a present also included the part where you knew a little about the person you wanted to offer something to and obviously Kurt knew next to nothing about Jules. The man tried to make a list of everything he knew about Jules but not a lot came to his mind. In one last attempted Kurt walked to the plush aisle. His eyes wandered to the Winnie The Pooh plush, they were cute and one of them was even carrying a little jar of honey. Kurt found it adorable and grabbed it, asking for it to be wrapped.

Kurt waited for Jules to be in bed, after Blaine had kissed him goodnight until he walked into the room. Jules sat in his bed, not used to having Kurt there. Kurt's heart tightened at the incredulous look on Jules' face, he didn't want him being in the boy's room to be something so special, he wanted it to be normal, he wanted Jules not to think twice about it. Kurt forced a smile on his face and walked closer to Jules' bed.

"Hi there." Kurt whispered, because he hadn't thought about turning the light on and even if Jules' night light was on he still felt like he had to whisper.

"Hi." Jules answered, waiting for him to say something.

"I just wanted to tell you good night and also to give you this." Kurt pushed the gift into Jules' hands. The boy beamed at him before tearing the paper apart. The little boy's eyes illuminated instantly and he squeezed the bear against his little chest and face, flushing his cheek against it.

"It's beautiful." Jules said in awe, still not letting go of his new toy. "Can I keep it?"

"Of course, but first you have to name him." Kurt pressed a kiss into Jules' hair as the boy settled back into his bed.

"I thought his name was Winnie." Jules pointed out, his little brow furrowing. Kurt smiled at that and pushed his thumb into the frown to make it disappeared.