Chapter Six: Tensions

"Wait, you're taking a fifteen year old to jail?" Jocelynn exclaimed, glaring at the sheriff.

The sheriff cleared his throat, knowing how ridiculous it was to arrest a fifteen year old accused of murder. "Listen, his prints were the only ones found on the body."

"He's fifteen!" Temper steadily rose in her voice.

"Josie." Emmett placed a hand on her shoulder. "Cool it." He said calmly.

Jocelynn nodded and exhaled slowly. The officer stuck his mini notepad in the pocket of his shirt and headed in the other direction. The last thing she wanted was to be stuck in the back of that police car with an assault charge hanging over her head.

Jocelynn stood in the middle of the yard with her arms crossed as dozens of police officers headed every which way. They combed every square inch of the woods for evidence. They even convinced Delilah to let them search the house.

Jocelynn stared at the police car with her helpless little brother trapped inside. Her heart wrenched as her as eyes met with his. She forced a smile and waved slowly. James nodded in response to the wave due to his hands being cuffed together.

Jocelynn turned her attention to Emmett and sighed. "Im sorry. I really am. This has been a disaster." She apologized as she crossed her arms across her chest.

Emmett reassured her by a gentle smile. "No need to apologize. None of this is your fault."

Jocelynn nodded and looked back at the police cars. "I might as well get you home." She declared. It was very obvious it took everything in her not to cry.

"No need to rush, Josie. The police arent going to let you take off right away anyway." Emmett's voice was surprisingly calm despite the chaos unfolding around him. 

"Yeah," Jocelynn ran her hands through her hair and sighed. "Didnt exactly think about that." She looked up at the house and thought about how her Aunt was dealing with all of this. "I guess you can come inside.." Jocelynn was very hesitant and Emmett caught onto it.

"Are you sure? I don't mind waiting out here." Emmett replied, trying to comfort her.

"I'm not that rude." Jocelynn stifled a laugh before nodding towards the front door. "Come on."

Emmett nodded in defeat and followed Jocelynn through the swarm of police officers despite her reluctance. Jocelynn inhaled sharply as she reached for the front door. Her eyes quickly looked up to meet Emmett's stunning golden ones. "I'm not sure what to expect, sorry if things aren't in order inside."

Emmett nodded in understand and slid his hands into his pockets. Jocelynn opened the door to find her aunt sitting on the sofa. The fire pit lit up the room with a roaring yellow fire.

Jocelynn glanced at her aunt before inviting Emmett inside. To her surprise, her aunt was cool, calm and collected.

When Emmett stepped inside the door, Delilah stood from the sofa, setting her small mug of tea down on top of the coffee table.

"Josie, who's this?" Delilah asked with advanced curiosity creeping into her voice. Her eyes were glued on the light skinned prince that stood in the doorway with a smirk.

"Uh, this is Emmett. He's a friend." Jocelynn said in short.

After a few oddly silent minutes of Delilah and Emmett staring each other down, Delilah finally spoke. "Well, it's nice to.. meet you, Emmett." She was hesitant short with her words.

"And you as well, ma'am." Emmett had a genuine grin playing on his lips as he spoke.

Weird.