Bad Company

I run my hand along the grand banister, shocked at the beautiful artwork and architecture of such a building. So far I haven't seen any people in stray jackets, rocking madly back and forth so that may be a good sign.

I walk along the deserted corridor towards my room.

406...407...408...409...I turn the gold handle to my room, looking at the exquisite detail to each perfect engraving in the moulded gold.

Okay there's something really weird about this place, are asylums actually meant to be so...elegant, grand, detailed. My room had a king sized bed with black bedding and several black and silver silk pillows decoratively placed by the headboard. The headboard decorated half the wall, with shelves and again, silk. A 50 inch flat screen mounted the wall opposite the bed, a table sat under it with remotes and a vase of blood red roses.

The wall opposite the door, well it wasn't really a wall, it was made of complete glass, with a handle on the left side. Pulling the handle the window slid open, walking onto the balcony, I looked at the view. The endless garden, damaged by the winter weather, further on I could see the tops of the trees from the forest trees, and even further than that I saw the twinkling lights of the city, the silhouettes of the houses, offices and other work places, all stood in front of the roaming hills. Breathtaking. Even at night. The moon glowed a yellow colour and you could see more stars that you would be able in the middle of the city.

Goose-bumps started to become prominent on my skin so I went back into my room and closed the glass door.

Two doors stood on either side of the bed. One which was the door to the walk in wardrobe, which had too much space than I actually needed, I also found that is where my suitcases were placed, at the end of the wardrobe was I mirror filling the back wall. The other door was to the bathroom, the bathroom had a colour theme of black, silver and white, just like my bedroom. It had a huge walk-in shower and a huge bath, twice the size of me, and had a Jacuzzi option. ooh looking forward to that.

The room was much more modern to that of the rest of the house but all together it looked more like a 5* hotel than a fucking insane-asylum. 

I start unpacking and sorting out my belongings. As I finish there's a knock on the door. I open it to reveal Douglas, the caretaker. "Mr Sykes dinner is just about to be served" he says and gestures me to follow.

We enter the huge dining room. Tables are set like a normal restaurant, and menus are placed in front of each chair. Different numbers of seats are placed around numerous tables. I notice four people are already sat around one table, chatting away to each other, they didn't look crazy, murderous, weird, psychotic, they looked completely normal. Am I in the right place.

I take a seat at a table for two, not wanting to take up much space. I look at the menu to see two options for each course, a vegetarian option and a meat option. Being a vegetarian myself, I had tomato soup, cheese and spinach ravioli and creme brulee. Not really hospital food, this is some sort of hospital right?

At half six waiters poured out of the kitchen and took our orders.

"Mr Sykes" Mr Armstrong grabbed my attention. He sat opposite me. "How's your room?" He said, a smile plastered on his face.

"It's good" I say, not really knowing what to say. He noticed and chuckled.

"You mind if I stay?" He says, with that stupid fucking smile still there, it angered me at how he could be so fucking happy all the time. I clenched my fists under the table, and clamped my jaw tighter, I tried to smile, but it probably made me look like a lunatic, well that is why I am here. I nodded. Not really be able to say no.

All through dinner I didn't really pay attention to him, I just nodded and murmured pretending I was listening.

They took away my empty bowl of creme brulee, and I downed my glass of water and gave them the empty glass, and thanking them. I awkwardly fiddled with my fingers. "So, Oliver" Mr Armstrong said pointing his spoon at me. "Tell me about yourself, what do you like doing"

My eyes wandered around the room, I have a habit of not looking people in the eye when I talk to them, it means they can look into my eyes, and the eyes are the gateway to the soul, and I don't want people going there. "I like music"

"Really?" He said, actually looking interested.

"Yeah, I write music, and I sing and er" I nervously scratch the back of my neck "scream"

"Aha, you like that kind of music, there is another guest here, that I know of, that does aswell, maybe you could meet him sometime, lives here too."

"Yeah" I say with fake enthusiasm.

"So you write music? Lyrics as well?"

"Yeah, I have quite a few actually"

"That's great, maybe a could here them sometime" He sends me a wink. "Anyway, I have to get going now Oliver, please head into the common room when you're ready" I watch as he stands up "Douglas!" He shouts, his personae changing completely when Douglas is around, he treats him unfairly. "Show Mr Sykes where the common room is" Douglas nods, and Mr Armstrong leaves.

Douglas awkwardly just stands there, not saying anything, just looking at the floor. I sigh and stand up. He looks up quickly and puts on his hospital mask, he turns around and guides the way to the common room. Just before he enters he gets out a small bottle of anti-bacterial gel and squirts loads onto his hands. He then shows me in. "If you need anything sir, don't be afraid to ask" He says hurriedly, looking scared at the busy room, and runs out the room as if it's on fire.

I awkwardly sit on the large, cushioned window sill, and look at the different people in the room.

There's a few young children, about age 10, playing a board game. A young women, about 23, on the other window sill, sketching. A few men, middle-aged, playing a game of snooker, or standing around watching.

There were others but I stopped looking when my eyes landing on a guy, about my age, maybe a few years younger, He sat on one of the large armchairs, his hands gripped the armrests, his nails digging into the fabric, his knuckles turning white, he stared into thin-air. His air was in a bed-head style. He wore an over-sized navy blue crew-neck and black skinny jeans. His right leg was constantly bouncing up and down, as if nervous or waiting for something.

"Josh Franceschi, your visitor is here" Douglas says, through his hospital mask. A women stands behind, giving him a weirded out look. She looks at Josh and breaks out into a huge smile.

Josh stands up quickly. "Abigail" He whisper-shouts and runs to her. Picking her up, spinning her around, and feathering kisses all over her face.

For some reason, my heart sank, and envy ran through my body. Not because I missed my family or anyone special, not because the Abigail girl was hot, she wasn't really my type. I was jealous because she had Josh and I didn't!

____________________________________________________

Bad Company by Five Finger Death Punch

Kind of a boring chapter, but it was to set the scene. Hope you like it. Tell me what you think.

Vote/comment please