Our Courage, Our Cancer

All I heard was the beeping of a heart monitor. My body was stiff and seemed unmovable. My eyelids felt like weights and made me didn't want to open them. The beeping machine echoed in what felt like an empty room. The sound bounced of the walls repeatedly, until my ears started to ache. Being the only noise I heard, it seemed to get louder as the seconds ticked by. Louder and louder. I scrunched up my eyes and my heart raced as I felt I feeling in the pit of my stomach, anger. Yes, I have a very bad temper, even the smallest thing like a heart monitor can make me what to rip someone's body apart piece by piece, maybe a tiny bit over the top.

The monitor seemed to quieten and slow down as someone entered the room. My eyes closed I listened to there steady footsteps. The end of the bed I lay on dipped down slightly as the person sat. They let out a sigh. "I'm sorry about what happened Oliver" Ugh his voice, Mr Armstrong. "After what you saw it was the only rational thing to do, give you the pills" My eyelids became lighter and they fluttered open.

I lay in a completely, blindingly, bright, white room. Not much furniture but the bed, monitor and drip that was pierced in me.

Armstrong sat at the edge of the bed, smoking a pipe. I smiled slightly as I remembered my Granddad used to smoke his pipe every afternoon in his big armchair, reading this newspaper. But that was before...Why? Why did I do it?

"What were the pills?"

"Well, Oliver, you have to understand that they were the only thing that could keep you under control, they're a new drug that after a traumatic experience can keep you sane" He pauses and thinks about what he says. "Well you're not really sane" He laughs, maybe a little bit too much. "But as sane as you were before you saw her"

"Who was she?"

"Wow, Oliver so full of questions today, aren't we?" He says, nervous. "Her name was Poppy, she's from a different care unit, that's all you need to know" He said, trying to end the conversation quickly. "Now, I want you to head down to lunch, it's quarter past, so hurry" He got of the bed a swiftly excited the room.

I shakily got up off the bed, my legs were still a bit weak and unstable. I brushed my hand along the wall as I walked, as support. I exited the room and realized I had no idea where I was.

The hallway I now stood in was white still, but old, and was in a definite need for a touch up. There was a sort of mould that ran across where the wall and ceiling met.

There was no windows just closed doors. The only light source were the flickering bulbs hanging from the ceiling by a bit of wire. They swung in the still air. It seemed I had no shoes or socks so I just walked bare foot sown the deserted hall. There were movable hospital beds abandoned. The old spot of blood on the floor. All the doors were damaged by scratches. Well I guess this looked more insane than the rest of the building I'd seen.

I heard a door slam shut behind me. I stopped in my tracks, my heart racing. Do I dare turn around? Taking a deep breath, I turn my head slightly to see nothing but the flickering lights.

I turned back around to see a women standing right in front of me. She wore a skimpy nurses outfit. A 1950's red hairstyle. Her lips wore bright red lipstick. She was pretty, I guess, but not my type. "Can I help you Sir? You seem lost?"

"Yes please, I'm trying to get to the dining room"

"There are a few dining rooms in Norwood" She chuckled at my mistake. "What's your name, pretty boy" She said sending me a flirtatious smile.

"Oliver Sykes"

"Oliver" She breathed. She pushed me against the wall, her body blocking my escape. "Sykes" She brought her hand to the back of my neck. She roughly pulled my face closer to hers. Her lips so close to mine, I felt her breath fan my face. "Cute" And pulled away from me.