34.

A week after the Illéans left, we were finally free of guests again. It felt like it had been ages since I was able to walk around the palace without bumping into a Russian or an Illéan; it was nice to not be so overdressed and stiffly formal all of the time.

Salvatore was the most relaxed I'd seen him in a while, though he was still way more dressed up than me. When I went to his office, the door was open, and he was leaning back in his chair enough to make me worry that he'd fall out of it if I waltzed in without making noise. It had happened too many times.

I knocked on the door twice, and he shook himself out of whatever trance he'd been in. His expression was blank for a moment, but it brightened after a short delay. "Cassiana! Come in, don't stand in the doorway." His curtains and windows were all open, letting sunlight filter into the room. This was weird; Salvatore usually only left open one curtain to give him some light to work by. I tried not to think about it too much.

I stepped farther into the room and didn't bother closing the door. I sat myself in one of the comfy chairs in front of his desk and kicked off my shoes, curling up on it in a way that was definitely unladylike (not that my cousin cared). "Someone's awfully chipper today," I said. "What gives?"

He shrugged. "Can't I be happy?"

"Of course. I was just wondering what the occasion is."

He ducked his head, but not before I could see the grin growing on his face. "No occasion," he said carefully.

"Bullshit," I said. "I see that smile. What's going on?"

He looked up at me, and his cheeks were a little pink. "Dad's sending me to New Asia soon. I'll be there for two or three months to work with the royal family. Guess who else is going?"

"I don't know."

"Liev." The grin grew. "And the New Asians don't care. Their daughter is technically a potential suitor for us both, but she prefers women, so we're all just going to use each other as a cover for three months."

I sighed. "You two are going to get hurt so bad."

He shrugged. "I can't even care at this point."

I smiled at him. "You're so dick-whipped it hurts. And you're disgustingly adorable. I actually hate both of you."

He raised an eyebrow at me. "I don't think you have much room to talk, carina. I've been meaning to ask about you and Alexander."

I felt my face flush. "That's...ah, that's kind of what I wanted to talk to you about?"

He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his desk. "You have my full attention."

"I want clearances to work with Illéa," I said. It all came out in a rush, sounding more like IwantclearancestoworkwithIlléa.

"I'm sorry, what was that? Can you repeat that for me?"

"You know exactly what I said, rompicoglioni," I grumbled. "Don't be such a pain."

He laughed. "Fine, fine. But you're serious?"

I nodded. "Very. I've thought about it a lot."

"Hm. Well, I suppose I'm not surprised." He shrugged. "So, when's he proposing?"

"Salvatore!"

"What? We all know you're going to marry him. Is this your way of hinting to us that you're going to go back to him?" He went oddly still. "You're not pregnant, are you?"

"What? God, no! Are you insane?"

He held up his hands. "I have to ask! You never know!"

"I'm not pregnant!"