Azog Lives

My fur was still bristled as all the company stood around me trying to catch their breath. Even I was panting after having to run so far so fast. Fighting goblins definitely wasn't something I ever wanted to do again. “Remind me not to come to the mountains when I plan my vacation.” I looked at Dwalin. He raised a brow and shook his head at me. “Always have something smart to say. But I'll be sure to remind ya lass. Now here let me clean your face.” He pulled out a cloth and started wiping at the blood that had tinted my white fur. He had to get it wet before it would come off and even then it didn't completely come out. “I need to rinse my mouth out. Those things are gross.” I stuck my tongue out.

Dwalin let out a gruff laugh and gave me some water. I swished it around in my mouth and spit it out. Which probably looked strange if anyone was to see. But I didn't rightly care. I just wanted the rancid taste out of my mouth. “I can't believe you bit them. Figured after your encounter with the trolls you wouldn't bite filthy creatures anymore,” he said. If I could shrug I would have. “Gotta kill the enemy somehow. Claws and teeth are my only weapons. And while it did taste nasty I got some satisfaction knowing I ended their evil,” I replied.

Dwalin nodded his head in understanding and looked me over. “You're gonna be stuck in this form for a while aren't you?” He realized I didn't have my clothes with me. Which was a pain, but there wasn't anything I could do about it now. I was either stuck as a wolf or would have to go around naked. The latter of which I didn't exactly want to do. “Unless someone managed to grab a bag and has spares then yep. I'm stuck,” I replied. He rubbed my ears as a way of saying he was sorry.

I laid down wanting to relax for a few minutes. I closed my eyes and listened to Gandalf count the dwarves and realize that Bilbo was missing. Everyone was in an uproar about the hobbit missing. But I wasn't worried. I knew he would show up soon enough. I stretched out letting my claws dig into the earth and looked at all of them.

“Stop worrying, he's fine. He'll show up any second now,” I assured them.

However Gandalf was having none of it. He wanted to know exactly what happened. And so he began asking all sorts of questions which just set Thorin off. I swear sometimes I'm amazed the dwarf didn't bust a vein with as angry and stressed out as he stayed. When little Bilbo showed up I looked at Thorin and cocked my head. “Told ya he would come back. You should learn to listen to me. It's not like I don't know what's going to happen or anything,” I sassed. Thorin huffed and ignored me instead turning to Bilbo.

“I want to know. Why did you come back?”

“Look, I know you doubt me. I know you always have. And you're right, I often think of Bag-end.
I miss my books. And my armchair and my garden.
See, that's where I belong. That's home.
And that's why I came back. Because...you don't have one. A home. It was taken from you.
But I will help you take it back if I can.” He looked over at me with a soft smile. I could see something like understanding in his eyes. “And Ria considers wherever you lot are her home and she needs a roof over her head. She doesn't deserve to be out in the wild after all the kind things she has done,” he finished his speech.

Getting up I walked over to him and rubbed my head against his chest. It was my way of giving him a hug while I was stuck in this form. “Thank you, Bilbo. You're right. I do consider my home to be wherever they are.” I looked at the company and could see them all smiling at me; even Thorin and Dwalin. The happy moment couldn't last however because in the next moment howls pierced the air.

“Out of the frying pan,” Thorin started.

“And into the fire,” Gandalf finished.

Everyone was once again running for their lives. Only problem was we were on a cliff. The only place to go was up. While they all climbed the trees I stayed down at the bottom not being able to do so. “Ria, what are you doin’ lass? They'll kill ya,” Dwalin shouted when he noticed me at the base of the tree. I looked up at him. “They can try,” I replied. I really didn't know if I could fight them all off, but I couldn't climb and so I was going to try and gain them as much time as possible.

Warg after warg came at me in a clash of teeth and claws. My fur was covered in blood and I didn't even want to think what else. Finally I got a  reprieve as the company began throwing fiery pinecones. “Thanks guys. I don't know how much more I could have handled,” I called up to them. They all started shouting back, but then their tree fell. I watched as they hung over the edge of the cliff, hoping the eagles turned up soon.

Thorin stood and came running down the tree wanting to face off with Azog. The ugly orc had been taunting him from the moment he showed up and even I was ready to tear him a new one. When Thorin came by me I tried to stop him, but he was just out of my reach. I watched as he tried to fight and fail, watched as Azog sent an orc to behead him, and watched as Bilbo came to the rescue. That was when I finally rushed into the fight. I rammed my body into Azog's warg knocking them both over. The white warg snapped down on my hind leg as I went to get back up. I howled out in pain and swatted its nose.

The fight was going back and forth between us, but then Azog stood and narrowed his eyes at me. I snarled and prepared to be attacked by them both, but in the next moment I was scooped up in a set of talons. “Thanks for the rescue. I thought I was done for back there,” I told the eagle. It turned its head and looked at me for a moment. “No need to thank me. You fought bravely young wolf. Remember that courage in the days to come.” He then looked ahead and didn't say another word. My mouth dropped open. I knew they could talk as they had in the book, but I hadn't been expecting him to say anything to me.

When the eagle sat me down I let out a hiss and laid down. The pain in my leg now hitting me as I wasn't full of adrenaline. “Oh Ria, you're hurt. Here let me tend to that.” I looked up seeing Dori fretting over my state. “Yeah Azog's warg bit me. It hurts like crazy, but I'll live,” I told him. He pulled his waterflask off his side and poured it on the wound. I let out a small snarl at the pain. “Luckily the teeth didn't go too deep. If you shift back Oin should be able to put something on it and wrap it,” he said.

“Right and what clothes am I supposed to put on? I can't go naked.”

“Here take this. Maybe we can find you some pants.” Kili was in front of me holding out a long tunic. I was about to ask where it came from when I noticed his top half was naked. It was one of his undershirts. “Thank you,” I told him.

I took it and shifted as soon as no one was looking. The tunic fell to mid-thigh. Letting my wound be on full display. Oin, who had finished tending to the now awake Thorin, came over to look at me. He searched in the little pouch at his waist and pulled out some kind of cream and some bandages. “This will keep it from getting infected.” He covered the holes with the ointment and then wrapped it with the bandages. “So do I get to keep my leg doc?” I teased. Oin looked up at me with a huff. He may not hear well, but he knew what I said. “Of course ya can lass. Just keep it clean and covered,” he instructed.

I went to make another joke, but a pair of long-john pants were thrusted into my face. “They should fit you. We're the same height,” Fili said. I took the pants and pulled them on. “Did you and your brother seriously strip to offer me clothes?” I asked. Both the princes blushed and looked away. “Aye we did. We can't have you going naked and that wound can't be treated while you're a wolf. Giving up our under clothes seemed the easiest solution,” Fili replied.

“Thank you boys.” I kissed them both on the cheek and went to stand. My leg wobbled for a second, but with Kili's help I was able to get up. “Now let's get off this rock.”