Getting Left Behind

I sit comfortable in front of the fire letting Kili cuddle into my side to stay warm. Fili is on the other side of him, not wanting to leave his injured baby brother despite my insistence that he will be okay. I don't say anything because I know Fili is just watching out for Kili. And honestly it is the sweetest thing. I just love the bond these two have. As an only child I dreamed of being that close to someone. Though in a way I now was. I had the entire company as family, but the princes, Thorin, and Dwalin were closest to me. I guess that's why it was so easy for me to fall in love.

He's just so perfect with his good looks, his protective nature, his fighting skills, the way he smells, how accepting he is of me. I honestly love…

“Ria it's time to go,” Thorin said interrupting my train of thought. I got up and followed after him and the others. This stupid plan they had to steal weapons wasn't going to work. I tried to tell Thorin, but he wouldn't listen. And I knew why. The closer we got to the mountain the worse he became. The dragon sickness was already affecting.

A sigh left me as we climbed into the city armory. Kili holding more weapons than he should be went to walk by me. I gave him a pointed look. He shouldn't no better, but he didn't want his uncle to think him weak. He walked on passed me and started for the stairs. Just as he tripped I grabbed his arm to keep him from falling, but he still dropped the blades making an awful racket. Which of course alerted the guards. Who were none too gentle as they prodded us forward.

I snarled and let my eyes flash a vibrant blue getting the guards to back off me just a little bit.  Rude assholes, I thought when we were brought to the town center. I could see all the people pressing in around us and I didn't like it. I wasn't used to being around so many people. It was normally just me, the dwarves, and Bilbo. A lot more than that and I got anxious. Which wasn't a good thing because I could easily snap.

When the master of the lake and Alfred came out accusing us of being nothing more than mercenaries I just about lost. My eyes turned that vibrant blue of the wolf and I could feel the pull of my skin, the desire, the need to shift. The only thing that stopped me was Thorin and Fili each grabbing one of my shoulders. My footsteps faltered and I glanced at them knowing now wasn't the best time to reveal what I was.

I listened as Dwalin defended Thorin and then Thorin stepped up giving a big speech about Laketown. It was inspiring and the people rallied behind it like I knew they would. They were tired of being poor, but then Bard showed up talking of death and ruin. He knew what the prophecy said and he was right. And as much as I wanted to agree with him I couldn't. He had to kill Smaug and the only way that would happen is if Thorin and the others made it to the mountain.

They argued, but eventually the master welcomed us and invited us inside. Bard went to walk away and I grabbed his arm. He paused and looked at me curiously. “Get as many people as you can to leave tonight. I know you think there’s nowhere to go, but send them to Dale. They will be safe as long as they stay in doors. The prophecy isn't wrong, but it has to happen. Something worse than that dragon is going to come and we need that mountain. And I know what you have in your house. You'll stop Smaug,” I told him. He looked at me strangely for a few minutes before smiling softly.

“You're a kind hearted woman. Wanting to save people you don't even know. If I can get them to leave I will, but we don't have much in way of supplies.”

I dropped a bag of gold into his hands. “Take that. I might have nicked it off one of the guards when he was pushing us.”

Bard chuckled,  clapped me on the shoulder as way of thanks and then left.

Inside the master's house was warm. There was food and drink. Both of which I partook in. It was nice to be able to relax if only for a night. I knew what would be coming soon and I wanted it out of my mind for awhile. And thanks to the ale I was able to. I danced around with Fili and Bofur. I tried to get Dwalin and Thorin up too, but neither would budge. I called them party poopers and went back to enjoying myself. Soon enough though we all called it a night. We would have an early morning if we wanted to reach the mountain on time.

I sat on the docks the next morning watching the others load up. My mind was torn on what I should do. I knew Thorin was going to make Kili stay behind which meant Fili staying behind as well. I wanted to be with them help keep them safe as well as Bard's children, but I also wanted to go with Thorin see if there was a chance for me to help keep him sane. If I could stop him from falling into the dragon sickness maybe just maybe he would call Dain to help fight the orcs instead of the elves and the battle would go differently.

I went to step on the boat when Thorin stopped me. I raised a brow in curiosity. “What's going on? Why did you stop me?”

“Because I need you to stay here. Watch over Kili,” he whispered. Apparently he hadn't told Kili he was staying behind just yet. But I nodded. Thanks to Thorin telling me to stay my mind was made up. I just hoped by the time we reached the mountain it wouldn't be too late.

I took a seat back on the boxes and waited for the argument I knew was about to happen. Kili went to step on the boat and much like he had done me, Thorin stopped him. “Not you. We must travel at speed. You will will slow us down.”

“What are you talking about? I'm coming with you,” Kili said sounding confused.

“Not now.”

“I'm going to be there when that door is opened. When we first look upon the Halls of our Fathers, Thorin.”

“Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed.”

I grimaced seeing the heartbroken, dejected look on Kili's face. It made my own heart want to cry, but it was for the best. If he didn't stay Tauriel wouldn't be able save him. Oin climbed out saying his duty was with the wounded. But then the real argument started when Fili turned to Thorin.

His blue eyes shone with determination and anger. “Uncle. We grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!”

“Fili,” Thorin tried to interrupt.

“I will carry him if I must! Or Ria can.”

“One day you will be king and you will understand.
I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one Dwarf. Not even my my own kin.”

I let out a low growl. The sickness was making him act cruel. “You don't have to be so harsh Thorin,” I snarled as Fili climbed out of the boat.

Thorin gave me a look that said stay out of this, but I just glared at him.

“Fili don't be a fool. You belong with the company,” Thorin tried to stop him.

“I belong with my brother.” Fili shook Thorin off and came over to where Kili, Oin, and I were. I smiled, took his and Kili's hand in mine and squeezed them. Everything was going to be alright.