Friendship Bracelets

I was sitting down leaned against a boulder, keeping my senses on high alert as it was my turn to take watch. Ever since we had left Rivendell a few days ago I had suggested letting me help. My senses were more sensitive than anyone in the company and seeing as they were being hunted it wouldn't be a bad idea. I mean sure I knew nothing happened for a few more days I still wanted to do my part and help out. I rolled my shoulders letting my upper back pop. The elven city had been beyond beautiful and I had enjoyed getting to take a bath and get clothes that actually fit. The dwarves weren't happy about me wearing something that was elvish, but they understood me needing better fitting clothes.

Rivendell was also where I had gotten the cloth I was currently braiding into a bracelet. It was 4 thin pieces all different colors, a dark blue, dark green, dark red, and purple. As I worked I began to sing softly to myself.

What if all you understand
Could fit into the center of our hand
Then you found it wasn't you
Who held the sum of everything you knew

We're insane but not alone
We hold on
And let go

Like the sun, we will live to rise
Like the sun, we will live and die
And then ignite again
Like the sun, we will live to rise

What if the one thing that I missed
Was everything I need to pass the test
And if I fail, what happens then?
Can I still count on you as a friend?

We're insane but not alone
We hold on
And let go

Like the sun, we will live to rise
Like the sun, we will live and die
And then ignite again
Like the sun, we will live to rise

Like the sun, we will live and die
And then ignite again

Like the sun, we will live to rise
Like the sun, we will live and die
And then ignite again
Like the sun, we will live to rise

I could hear and smell Fili as he walked closer to me. He had this distinct smell of tobacco, knife oil, and peppermint. A scent I was beginning to enjoy. It was much different from his brother who for some reason smelled more spicy like cloves and cinnamon. "Hello corazón de oro what are you doing up?" I asked before he managed to reach me. He softly sat down beside me not wanting to wake the others. "It still amazes me how you do that. I couldn't sleep and when I heard you singing I came over. What was that song?" I finished the bracelet I was making and looked up at him.

"Live to Rise. It's by a band back home. It's one of my favorites." I handed the braided cloth over to him. He took it and looked it over. "It's beautiful, but why are you giving it to me? Don't you want it?" I smiled and shook my head. "I have one already.. Yours matches as does Kili's." I lifted my wrist showing the other two bracelets to him. He grabbed my hand and I blushed. It was hard not to considering how handsome he was. He and his brother and his uncle and Dwalin. I swear those dwarves and their damn good looks are going to be the death of me. "It does match. Does matching bracelets mean something in your world?" He tied his on.

I shrugged and looked around the camp. "They can. Sometimes it signifies friendship, other times a relationship," I explained. "Relationship? Like courting beads and such?" He was such an inquisitive dwarf. Actually they all were; constantly asking me things. "Sort of, but not as serious. In my world when a man or woman wants to be more than just dating or living together with their significant other they buy a ring and they get down on one knee and propose," I replied.

Fili smiled and fingered his bracelet for a minute. "Well I'm glad to have you as my friend. But can I ask another question?" I smiled and nodded my head. "What was that you called me? I've heard you say it a few times, but I don't know what it means, and you're always calling the others by other names to," he questioned. Honestly I was a little surprised he didn't ask me sooner. "Corazón de oro, it means golden heart in spanish. I call you that because you're a golden hearted lion," I explained.

The fair haired prince looked thoughtful for a few moments before leaning over and kissing my cheek, something I had done to him and the others many times. "Thank you, I've never had someone give me such a honorable nickname. I will have to find one for you," he said. I licked my lips and looked anywhere, but at him. "You don't have to do that, but it's kind of you to want to," I felt his hand grab mine and gave it a squeeze. Turning my head I locked eyes with him. There was a softness there that I wasn't exactly expecting and I licked my lips again. "You deserve it. You've done so much for the company and we all care for you," he said.

I hadn't really thought I had done that much. "I really haven't." I shook my head in disagreement. He was just being kind, there was no way he actually thought I had done anything for them. "You're stories give us hope when things seem bleak. You're kind to Ori, you befriended Dwalin, you tease uncle and he doesn't get angry, you helped Bilbo distract the trolls, you helped lead the orc pack away, you joined in on the fun in Rivendell, you try to protect all of us, and you let us use you as a pillow and heat source. You've done more than you realize." He reached up and moved a stray wisp of hair behind my ear.

Before now I hadn't really thought of any of those things as helping, I just did them because it felt right to do. "Didn't realize I was doing anything," I told him. Fili chuckled and gazed at me with an unreadable emotion. It made me squirm and my heart picked up pace just a little. "You are as pure as fresh fallen snow. You help with more than you know and not because you want recognition, but because it's part of who you are. Ria, you really are a remarkable woman. And I do believe I just found your nickname. I'm going to call you Snow," he said.

"I don't know how pure I am, but I appreciate your kind words. They make my heart go all aflutter. Not fair that you are good looking and charming. You Durin men are gonna kill me one day," I tried to play off just how much his words affected me. I stretched and looked around the camp, Dwalin was stirring about to get up and take my spot on watch. Once he did I smiled softly and gave him a nod which he returned. "Come on let's get some sleep." I stood up and offered Fili my hand. He took it and I pulled him up. Making our way over to where his brother lay I grabbed the blanket the elves had given me and covered him up before laying down on my side. I didn't need a blanket to keep me warm. "Night Fee," I whispered. "Goodnight Snow," he replied.

I let out a yawn and nuzzled into my pillow, trying to get comfortable. My eyes drifted close and soon I was lovingly embraced by slumber.