5/ lips

It's been a month since I moved into my new apartment.

_____________

I was in a hurry.
I got the job in that pet shop. I set my alarm at 7:10 but I got up at 7:30 instead. And my bus goes off at 7:50, so yeah, just a 'little' rush. My work starts at 8:20 by the way.
I overslept  because I was thinking about Marshall instead of sleeping. I was thinking about a lot of things. Wondering about his life mostly. And I don't even know his surname. How crazy is that?
I was about to visit him in his apartment later, after work. I hope he will be home because we've spoken only a few times since that night he invited me.

I wasn't that late after all, it was only like 10 minutes. The pet shop isn't as big as I thought. It's big enough for two employers, which is me and my co-worker, Evan. I guess that he's at the same age as I am. An average, good-looking guy. Probably 5'9", brownish-blonde hair down to his shoulders. I'd type him for a skateboarder.

He was standing behind the cash desk, watching something on a laptop.
"Tanya?" He lifted up his head, asked me unsurely.
" Evan, right?"
"Yeah, that's me" he smiled.
"I'm late, sorry. The traffic, you know" I came up with a lame excuse.
"Nah, not a big deal, really," he shrugged and closed the laptop.

" Okay, so here's something like a changing room" he pointed at the door across the shop. "You gotta wear this 'company' shirt.  There should be one left in the changing room. I hope it will fit you" he chuckled and pointed at my small body.

I made my way to the changing room and put on that shirt. It was okay, even tho it was orange, and I really hate that color.

Evan took me around the shop and gave me all the pieces of information I needed. How to take care of all the little animals we have there. I'm going to work with a cash register for now, but also with animals after some time.

It wasn't boring at all. We talked a lot and got to know eachother better.
Time passed quickly, and it was time for me to head back to my apartment. Evan offered me a ride home, but it wasn't necessary, because my bus is not far away from the shop.

I was standing in the motel hallway, unlocking my door when I've heard some noise coming out of Marshall's apartment.

"Good, he's home," I said to myself.
I had nothing to do at home, which was a good thing  because I wanted to visit Marshall as soon as possible in case he'd leave.
I grabbed a bag of chips because I didn't really know what else should I bring with me.

This was the second time I knocked on his door. Now it was for a totally different reason than before.

He answered the door, and my mood was even better than before. From the smile on his face, I could tell he felt the same way.

"Come in" he stepped back so I could come inside.
The weed odor was still easy to smell, but not as much as before.

His apartment was a bit 'darker' than mine. The lights were dimmed, gray walls. But, other than that, still pretty cozy and nice.  I was expecting a typical single-guy apartment.

"Yo,  want some beer?" Marshall asked, looking in his fridge.
"Does the pope shit in the woods?" I asked, sarcastically.
"Jeez, a simple yes would work too"

We sat down on his couch and cracked open our beers.

"So how's the pet shop going on?"
"Actually, pretty good tho. I'm working with this guy, Evan. He's nice, we've talked a lot and stuff"
"Oh Evan, I see," he said, concerned about it.
An awkward silence filled the room.

"Um, how was your day? I don't even know what do you do for living" I changed the topic.
"Well, I work in this automotive factory. Nothing extra" he shrugged.
"So that's why are you away that often?" I just had to ask.
He quickly looked away, then back at me, "Yeah, that's why" I knew he lied to me, but I decided not to dig into it.

"So what happened with your mom? Why were you upset?" Marshall sat closer to me.
"Oh, yeah. I don't know what's wrong with her, but she's a complete bitch. She sold my childhood toys and stuff to someone"

Marshall shook his head in disbelief.

"She can't get over the fact that I said no to college. I've had enough of school, you know. She even made me give her my keys"
"There's nothing better than a bitchy mom" Marshall raised his brow and took a sip of his beer.
"You know something about it?"
"Once, on a Christmas Eve. Mom kicked me out. It was like fifteen degrees outside. I yelled  'Ma, let me grab my fucking coat,' at her through the door, and well, she didn't let me"

I was taken aback. I grabbed his hand in mine and squeezed it slightly.

"Yeah, this and other shits. All the bitch-ass medicine she fed me, and I just wanted her to taste her own. But I don't really know how. I need to clean out my closet and tell her what's on my mind. But I don't think it would be nice"

I looked him in his eyes. "You can tell me anything you want, Marshall. Anything"

"I got through it on my own somehow, but it's still not completely gone"

We've spent two hours talking, and I started to feel tired.

"I guess I gotta go," I said and got up from the couch.

"Yeah, I need some sleep too"

Marshall walked me out of his apartment. Before he opened the door, he grabbed my arm gently and turned me to face him.

His eyes met mine.
Looking down at me.

He kissed me.
His lips were so soft.

Soft.

Tender.

Addictive.