Chapter 3

She's freaking out. I can tell by the look in her eyes as she watches me leave the kitchen. I hate to see that look in her eyes.

"Are you coming or not?" Zack mutters as he waits for me to come into the study. I want to shake my head and turn around; I don't want to do this. Damn Millie, why can't she just mind her own goddamn business and stop upsetting Annie.

"Yeah, sorry," I mumble as I enter the study.

Zack closes the door and it feels like the final bolt slipping into place. My heart seems to drop when I spot the way Millie is watching me.

"So, why the sudden need to talk in private?" Zack asks as he gets straight to the point.

I fold my arms across my chest and try my best to appear relaxed. I don't want to have to choice between my family and friends or Annie, because I know who'd win and damn it all to hell, I don't want to break my promise to Annie.

"It was Jason I wanted to speak with, but I knew you'd want to be taken in on this conversation, Alpha," Millie says as she signs softly.

"Jason? What do you mean?" Zack asks as he sits down in his black leather chair at the front of his desk and waits for Millie to answer him.

"Annie seems to have created an emotional bond between herself and Jason," Millie begins and I know this isn't going to end well.

"You see, when a person goes through something like what Annie did. She was faced with a life or death situation, to the point where she felt helpless to control her own life."

"Jason has been there with her since she woke up. He's helped her, looked after her, become her friend and in doing so, she has, I believe, emotionally tied herself to him," Millie says. She sits down in one of the seats opposite Zack and looks toward me.
"She trusts you, more than she probably trusts anyone else."

I frown. What a load of bullshit. Sure Annie and I have grown closer since the attack, I've looked out for her and helped her, but Annie is her own person. She's far stronger than Millie realises. She doesn't need me to look after her and keep her safe.

"What are you getting at, Millie?" I snap. Zack raises his eyebrow at me questioningly.

"I think you know more about that night than you're letting on. Annie would've needed to tell someone about it. It's human nature; the need to tell someone. I think she told you and seeing as she herself is unable to tell me what happened, I feel it's important that you do," she says. Her eyes pin me with a stare and I don't look away, I will not submit to her.

"Is that true, Jason? Do you know more about the night Annie was attacked?" Zack asks, looking between me and Millie.

Millie finally seems to realise I'm not going to submit to her and she looks away. Can I do this? Can I tell them the truth and break my promise to Annie? I look over at Zack and then back to Millie.

I can't lose her.

The realisation that thought causes hurts me on a far deeper level than I could've ever imagined possible. She asked me to do one thing for her. One fucking thing and I can't break the promise I'd made to her all those months ago, I fucking can't.

"I don't know, Millie," I say and Millie sighs, "I know you're trying your hardest to help her, but I don't think Annie is ready to talk about what happened that night with anyone," I say with a soft shrug.

"I guess you're right. Annie is human, but she's as stubborn as a wolf and as headstrong as anyone of our kind," Millie says and I hope to god she doesn't put two and two together and get four.