Chapter 22

I smell the gas they poured over the car strongly and I know what they plan to do, but I don't care. I just know I need to get to Annie. I have to live, because if I don't, Annie will die. I fight, pulling hard on my leg as I swear softly. A piece of jagged metal slices into my leg and a cry of pain hisses from my lips as the metal burns like acid.

"Annie!" I shout, but I can't hear them anymore. I can't see them. I can feel the heat of flames and I know I don't have long before the car explodes. I fight harder but all I do is force the metal deeper into my leg, causing it to burns even more.

"Jason!" Zack shouts and I turn my head in the direction the sound came from.

"Here, over here!" I shout back. The scent of Pack surrounds me and I feel the panic calm inside a little.

"Annie!" Kaitlyn shouts as I cut my seatbelt.

"The rogues took her, damn it, get me out. She needs me!" I call back and I hear Zack swear.

"Help me over here, Rafe!" Zack shouts.

"Little busy stopping the car from blowing up right now," Rafe answers back, pure calmness in his voice. If I didn't know the guy, I'd say he wasn't fucked whether the car blew up or not.

"Alex!" Zack snaps.

"What do you need?" Alex asks.

"Help me get the door off," Zack growls as I secure my hands on the dash and try to steady my body.

"Zack be careful with the door, a piece is in my leg," I say. A heavy, uncertainty filled silence coats the air, "Jesus, pull the fucking thing before we all blow up!" I finally snap.

"Shit!" Zack growls and a second later the car shakes as both Zack and Alex pull the car door off. I growl as the piece of metal rips from my leg and the smell of fresh blood floods the air.

"Get him out, Zack," Rafe says, "This thing is going to blow."

"Damn it. Kaitlyn, get out of here," Zack mutters as he reaches in and grabs me; pulling me from the car as fast as possible.

"Not without you," Kaitlyn says stubbornly as I'm dragged out into the open.

"We need to leave," Rafe says as he turns toward us "Now!" he growls. Rafe doesn't growl... ok, he does, he doesn't raise his voice would be more accurate. The fact that he shouts that rather loud statement means serious shit.

Grabbing my arm, Zack runs, taking most of my weight as we get the hell out of the way. A second later, the car explodes; the force of the blast throwing us forward onto the ground. Scraps of metal and shrapnel scatter around and upon us as we lay there, heat from the fire warming the air around us and yet all I can think about, is getting Annie back, "Fuck me! Who the hell did you piss off and why?" Zack mutters as he helps me up. His eyes searching and finding Kaitlyn uninjured.

"Rogues and they started it," I snarl in reply.

"Are we going to blow some heads off these bastards?" Zack asks as Kaitlyn burst out laughing. It's more hysterical laughter than anything else, but I understand that, it's either laugh or cry.
"For god's sake woman, get your mind off sex!" Zack shoots at her and she rolls her eyes.

"I need to go after Annie," I say as I push myself up into a sitting position and look down at my calf. It's pretty messed up and it's taking its sweet time in healing, but damn it, I have to find her. I have to keep my promise.

"Jason, we'll find her and bring her home, but right now you need medical help," Zack says his voice dominating.

"She needs me," I snarl.