Chapter 5

Zack has packed some food for me and I'm grateful. He doesn't have to do that. I stand in the kitchen with him a few minutes later, debating if I'm making the right choice by taking her with me.

"What are you thinking about?" Zack asks as he leans back against the counter and fold his arms across his chest.

"How Kaitlyn has turned you into such a nosy bitch," I grin and he laughs, shaking his head.

"Come on, give me something," he mutters. The fool's whipped.

"Annie wants to come with me," I say and he nods, as if he'd guessed as much.

"And you said no, but then she said something else and you thought, what the fuck, and said fine," he grins.

"Jesus, Zack, what are you, psychic?" I mutter.

"No, but I do know my best friend."

"Am I making the right decision?" I ask him. He looks over at me with a heavy sigh.

"You know, when I first made the decision to take Kaitlyn as my mate, I didn't know how things were going to play out. She had to make some fucking hard choices because of me and I'll never forgive myself for that, but I'm happy I choose to go after her." 

"She's mine, Jason. Without her, I don't know who I'd be, but it wouldn't be anything good," Zack says seriously, "Annie could be one of those decision, you either make it or you don't... but if you don't try, you'll never know what could've been. Do you get what I'm saying?" he says with a frown and I laugh as I nod.

"I get what you're saying," I muttered, "but Annie isn't my..."

"Don't tell Kaitlyn I gave you the go ahead to take off with her best friend. She'll kill me," he cuts in and I nod.

"I hear you," I agree. We fall silent for a few minutes before we leave the kitchen. I head toward the stairs, wanting to go up and help Annie, yet just as I reach them Kaitlyn touches my arm lightly.

"I really am sorry," she says.

"It's fine, Kaitlyn. Had the role been reversed, I would've done exactly the same thing," it's not exactly a lie, but what the hell, I'm not in the Pack now anyway.

"No, you wouldn't've. I'm going to rake Zack's brains and we're going to find a way for you to get back into the Pack, I swear to you," she promises, but I know her hope is futile.

"Sure," I say. She hugs me tightly and my eyes shift toward Zack, who stands with his arms crossed over his chest and a frown on his face as he watches his mate hug me.

"We'll all miss you," she says as she pulls back, "Just be careful, ok?"

I nod just as she stills as she looks over my shoulder, panic filling her eyes. I turn to watch Annie as she walks down the stairs, slow and unsteady. I want to rush up and grab her, keep her safe, but I know by the stubborn look in her eyes, she's determined to do this alone.

"Annie, what's going on?" Kaitlyn asks. She looks at Zack, as if seeking help but he doesn't look at her.

"I'm going with Jason," Annie says as she nears us.

"Like hell you are!" Kaitlyn growls.

Annie stops on the last step and leans against the wall. She stands near my shoulder and I feel my muscles relax. If she falls now, I can catch her.

"Kaitlyn, it's my fault Jason has to leave. Do you know how dangerous it is for a Werewolf to be alone, outside of a Pack?" Annie snaps. Zack's lips twitch.