Chapter 18

I feel really funny and not in a good way. For the last thirty minutes or so, I've been feeling sick. Yet there's an underlying something there too. I feel really dizzy and my head hurts badly, but I decide to take a leaf out of Jason's book and counter what he'd done. I'm able to mimic, or rather, shadow his own defensive wall and hide my own feelings behind it. He doesn't say anything and I can only assume he thinks I'm angry that he had hidden his emotions from me. If he thinks something else, he doesn't share and the only fact I know he isn't feeling the illness like I am, is simply because he hasn't asked if I'm ok.

The car slows as we near the entrance to Jason's mum's Pack. The car comes to a stop a second later and Jason rolls his window down easily as a man wearing only a pair of jeans jogs over.

"Jason... Are you here to see your mum?" the guy asks.

"Is she here, Caleb?" Jason asks and the guy nods, his ginger hair flopping over his eyes as he does so.

"Yeah, so is Lucas," Caleb says and Jason sighs, "Who's the little lady?" Caleb asks as he leans further down and winks at me.

Jason growls softly and Caleb pulls back, "My mate," Jason says darkly and I swallow.

"Wow... Yeah, sorry. Go on through," Caleb mutters, as he steps back from the car and allows Jason to enter. The next five minutes are silent, until I growl low in the back of my throat, which still freaks me out. Jason looks over at me.

"You ok?" he asks gently and I shake my head.

"What's wrong?" I ask softly. He seems to freeze up at my question.

"Nothing," he lies and I scoff before looking out my window. The surrounding area opens up a few seconds later and Jason pulls up in front of a small log cabin. The car stops, the engine dies and silence surrounds us.

"Annie..."

"No, you don't want me to lie to you. You tell me to say nothing if I have only lies to tell you, so give me the same fucking decency," I snap angrily as my head pounds angrily and my vision blurs slightly.

"I'm sorry," he says softly, as he runs his hand through his hair and sighs.

"What happened here that hurts you so badly?" I whisper as I chance a glance his way. His eyes stare off into the distance, his face pale and his throat working hard. Silently, I reach over and take his hand in mine.

"I know how secrets can eat you up from the inside out, Jason. I'm not demanding you tell me yours, not now and not ever. But if you're ever ready to share, I'll be here," I say softly.

He looks down at me, "Will you? Will you be here, Annie? Or will you leave me?" he asks, his eyes red. I look down at his knees, hating to see the pain on his face.

"I won't hold your life in my hands," I whisper.

"You already hold my life in your hands, Annie. If you leave me, if you die, so will I. Maybe not physically, but inside Annie. I'll become this cold, hard, nasty bastard and I won't become that. Be sure Annie, if you die, no matter if it's in a week or a hundred years, I will follow very quickly after you."

Horror fills me, wells up inside. It makes my heart stop and my throat dry. I look at him, my eyes shooting up to his and I shake my head.

"No, Jason, please. I..." his lips crush into mine with such force, that had his hand not been holding my head, I'd've fallen back against my seat. His tongue demands entrance into my mouth and I stubbornly refuse, until his hand suddenly squeezed my breast and I gasp. He takes full advantage of my slightly parted lips and slips his tongue in. I give up and kiss him back with everything in me. Wanting him to know, to see, to feel just how much and how strongly I love him.