Chapter 12

It's just over a two hour drive to Alec Robert's house and so far, we've managed to get out of town without the local authorities catching us. Annie has been sitting the whole drive in silence and I know she's thinking. I can almost hear the ticking of her thoughts. I know what she's thinking without her having to tell me, it's written plainly on her face. She's going to see if blood bonding is dangerous. And it is dangerous. I know she's going to put up a hell of a fight to stop me bonding with her, but she's failing to understand something very important, if she likes it or not, if I'm willing to accept it or not, she is mine and I'm not planning on letting her go without a fight.

I'd rather die.

"Jason, if Alec..." I cut her off, not needing to hear the words to know what she's going to say.

"Don't," I say simply as I take the turn into Alec Robert's drive.

The house is set back, the gravel making a crunching sound under the car's tires as I park in front of his house. The front door opens before I get the chance to switch the engine off and I look at the man who'd survived a rogue attack. Considering what Samuel had told us, Alec was far older than he looks, in fact he looks like he's in his early twenties. His perfectly groomed and styled brown hair is cut to perfection, his skin without so much as a mark, his build that of an athlete. He's a lot like every other Werewolf. He's a man a lot of woman, both human and other would call handsome. My eyes dart to Annie and I can't stop myself from wondering what she thinks of Alec Roberts.

"Let's just see what he has to say before you go making life changing decisions," I say.

She looks over at me, her eyes almost pleading for me to understand, but no matter how much I l... feel for Annie, I won't, I couldn't allow her to die in front of me, while I sit back and do nothing.

She isn't going to leave me.

"Come on, before Mr I'm-All-That over there starts combing his hair," I mutter softly and my wolf eases a little when she laughs gently.

"Be nice," she murmurs as I open my car door.

"I'm always nice," I say as I leave the car. I'm around her side before she can do so much as open her own door.

"Yeah, sure you are," she says as I help her out the car, "You're nearly as bad as Rafe," she adds and I look down at her, rising one eyebrow.

"Baby, really?" I ask gently, with a hint of sarcasm in my voice.

"Ok, not really. He's got the whole, strong silent type thing going. The bad boy persona. You're more laid back than that, like... Jason Bourne," she supplies, smiling at herself, happy with her description.

"The assassin?" I ask as we move toward Alec.

"Yes! I knew you would've seen that film," she smiles and my heart does a weird flip.

"Ok, so Rafe is a bad boy and I'm an assassin," I grin, just as we reach Alec Roberts.

"Well, I hope you aren't here to assassinate me," Alec smiles, before he extends his hand toward me, "I'm Alec Roberts," he introduces himself.

"I'm Jason and this is Annie. Did Samuel tell you we were coming?" I ask. Alec nods, his attention however is fixed on Annie.

"Yes, he did indeed. He called me nearly two hours ago. I've been waiting for you since," he says in an offhand tone, "I know the circumstances aren't great, but it's a pleasure to meet you, Annie. After so long of being the only one of my kind, it's nice to finally meet another," Alec says as he reaches out toward Annie.