Lack Of Trust

Thorin gazes upon the throne, over which the Arkenstone had been in laid before it was lost. He speaks to Balin, Dwalin, and Bilbo, who are behind him "It is here in these halls - I know it." Dwalin says "We have searched and searched..." Thorin interrupts him "Not well enough !" Dwalin tells him "Thorin, we all would see the stone returned." Thorin shouts "And yet, it is still not FOUND !" Balin asks "Do you doubt the loyalty of anyone here ?" Thorin turns and slowly walks toward Balin and Dwalin. Balin says "The Arkenstone is the birthright of our people." Thorin says "It is the King's Jewel." He begins shouting "AM I NOT THE KING ?!"

As Thorin turns away, Balin, Dwalin, and Bilbo look uneasy "Know this if anyone should find it and withhold it from me, I will be avenged

As Thorin turns away, Balin, Dwalin, and Bilbo look uneasy "Know this if anyone should find it and withhold it from me, I will be avenged." As he walks away, Bilbo looks very disgruntled. Thyri found Thorin in another hallway filled with gold and gems. She sighs and walks toward him. She calls out "Thorin." He asks harshly "What ?" Thyri jumps at his booming voice. She asks "What happened to my brother ? All along the journey you never had this behavior. And now that we reached our homeland, you changed. And not in a good way but a bad way. An awful way." Thorin doesn't answer or look at her. Thyri continues "I know you are not grandfather but you began to show every signs which make grandfather crazy about the treasure. *starts to tear up* The more you become what you don't want to be, the more you lose the loyalty of our kin. And if I remember correctly, we promised each other that we would rule Erebor together if you don't find a bride. I hope you remember that promise." She turns away, Thorin looks at her with wide eyes as he sees his sister without a right forearm "Just remember family is forever, gold and gems can always be easily replaced." Thyri walks away with tears falling down her face. Balin is in a quiet corner somewhere, breathing deeply as if he had just been crying. Bilbo finds him. Balin tells him "Dragon-sickness. I've seen it before. *looks at Bilbo* That look. That terrible need. It is a fierce and jealous love, Bilbo. It sent his grandfather mad." Bilbo says "Balin, if-if Thorin... had the Arkenstone..." He slightly cocks his head, and Balin looks surprised, understanding Bilbo's implication. Bilbo asks "...if it was found - Would it help ?" Balin tells him "That stone crowns all. It is the summit of this great wealth, bestowing power upon he who bears it. Will it stay his madness ? No, lad. I fear it would make it worse. Perhaps it is best that it remains lost." Balin raises his eyebrows at Bilbo. Bilbo is sitting on a bench in a hall. He reaches into his coat pocket and pulls something out. Thorin, walking in an adjoining hallway, sees the action "What is that ?!" He strides rapidly toward Bilbo, and Bilbo rises "In your hand !" Bilbo stutters "It-It's nothing." Thorin orders "Show me." Bilbo says "It..." He holds out his hand, and in it is an acorn "I picked it up in Beorn's garden." Thorin says "You've carried it all this way." Bilbo says "I'm gonna plant it in my garden, in Bag End." His anger fading, Thorin smiles fondly at Bilbo "That's a poor price to take back to the Shire." Bilbo tells him "One day it'll grow. And everytime I look at it, I'll remember. Remember everything that happened, the good, the bad. And how lucky I am that I made it home." They smile at each other.