Prepare For War

In Erebor, Thorin strides toward the blocked off gate, calling the other dwarves to him "Come on !" The dwarves lay down their tools, pick up their weapons, and follow him up the stairs they've created in the blockage, all the way to a platform they have built at the top of the gate from which they have a vantage point over the plain in front of the gate. They see the walls of Dale filled with Elves ready for war. Bard rides up the path to the gate on a horse, and stops in front of the gate "Hail Thorin, son of Thrain ! We are glad to find you alive beyond hope." Thorin asks "Why do come to the gates of the king under the mountain armed for war ?" Bard asks back "Why does the king under the mountain fence himself in? Like a robber in his hole." Thorin replies "Perhaps it is because I am expecting to be robbed." Bard asks "My lord, we have not come to rob you, but to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me ?" Thorin nods, and steps away from the platform and down the stairs. Bard dismounts his horse and crosses the bridge in front of the gate. As he approaches the blockade, a raven flies out of the opening above the gate and wings away rapidly, cawing loudly. Bard sees a hole built into the blockade, and Thorin strides up to the other end of the hole "I'm listening." Bard tells him "On behalf of the people of Laketown, I ask that you honor your pledge. A share of the treasure so that they might rebuild their lives." Thorin says "I will not treat with any man while an armed host lies before my door." Bard tells him "That armed host will attack this mountain, if we do not come to terms." Thorin says "Your threats do not sway me." Bard shouts "What of your conscience ? Does it not tell you our cause is just ?! My people offered you help. And in return you brought upon them only ruin and death !" Thorin asks "When did the men of Laketown come to our aid, but for the promise of rich reward ?!" Bard shouts "A bargain was struck !" Thorin says "A bargain ? What choice did we have but to barter our birthright for blankets and food ? To ransom our future in exchange for our freedom ? You call that a fair trade ? Tell me, Bard the Dragonslayer..."

Bard looks up, surprised

Bard looks up, surprised. Thorin asks "...Why should I honor such terms ?" Bard says "Because you gave us your word. Does that mean nothing ?" Thorin turns away from the hole, disappearing from Bard's view. He leans back against the blockade and for a moment looks tired and weary. He then looks at the other dwarves and Bilbo, who are all standing there. He shouts back to Bard "Be gone before our arrows fly !" Bard slaps the rock angrily, then mounts his horse and rides back to Dale.