harry

i felt bad for leaving the cliffhanger x

To say I was scared would be the opposite of an over-exaggeration. I was completely and utterly terrified. I had no idea why Niall was in the hospital and I was frightened to figure out.

I barely parked my motorcycle correctly before I jumped off and dashed through the front doors.

I saw Niall's blond head in the middle of a large crowd. His head was in his hands and a doctor was shouting at him. His shoulders were shaking and he was shying away from all the people around him.

"I can't save her unless you answer my questions!" he screamed. Oh no...

"Sir! Sir stop it please! You're scaring the bloody shit out of him!"

The crowd parted as I made my way through, stepping in front of Niall.

"What seems to be the issue?" I asked, trying to sound a little professional.

"I'm trying to get him to answer some questions about the patient he brought here but he won't talk to me!"

"Sir," I said calmly, "he's mute. He won't be able to speak to you whether he wants to or not."

"Well can you answer the questions then?"

"I'm sorry, I'm only his boyfriend, but w-who is the patient?" I asked.

"Grace Horan, sister to Bobby Horan?"

His aunt...

"Sir, is there any other family we can contact?" the doctor tapped my shoulder.

"Not that I know of, I'm sorry." I said, knowing that Niall's family was very complicated.

"We'll keep searching then, thank you. You both can wait here or you can leave and we can call you, Mr..."

"Styles. Harry Styles. We won't be far, so I'll give you my number."

I wrote it down on a small card I picked up on the side table next to me.

"Thank you."

The rude doctor left and I took Niall's hand, taking him out the hospital.

"Have you had any dinner yet?"

He shook his head and that was enough for me. I passed him a helmet and started my motorcycle.

"C'mon, I'll pay."

--

Niall and I sat in a small diner, our orders already placed and cups of tea sitting in front of us.

"Niall, what happened?"

He looked and me and reached in his pocket for the tiny notebook we used instead of his cellphone.

She had a heart attack, I came home from the grocery store to see her...like...motionless.

My heart ached sadly for Niall to come home to his caretaker in such a state.

"And?"

So I called 911 and hung up, knowing they'd come. I couldn't talk to them anyway. They brought her to the hospital. While I was in the waiting room the doctors all came up to me and started rambling on and on. I could feel the claustrophobia beginning to kick in so I texted you. I missed you and I needed you there with me.

I held out my hand for Niall to take and he placed his in mine. I pulled him up and brought him to sit on my side of the booth.

"Niall I was so scared when you stopped replying to me texts the entire week...I love you, you know that right?"

Niall nodded an began to write again.

I know Harry and I'm sorry for not answering. I thought you just needed space and I was taking up too much of your time. Especially after the whole incident on the roof at my house...

I pulled Niall on my lap and kissed him as hard as I could. When I pulled away his entire face was red and I chuckled.

"Listen I love you so much it hurts okay? Don't worry about it anymore."

Niall nodded and moved back to sit on the bench, instantly cuddling into my side.

After we had gotten our food we just hung out in the diner, discussing things that had happened over the week. I had gotten a call from the doctor when Niall was confronting me about my 11:11 reference and how cheesy it was.

"Hello?" I said.

"Mr. Styles, we'd appreciate it if you and Mr. Horan return to the hospital at this time. We're about to go into surgery."

--

7:12 AM

Ten hours were spent waiting for that doctor to come out with the results of the surgery.

Five hours of sleeping.

One hour of driving.

Two hours of cuddling.

One hour of crying.

Two hours of silly games we ended up creating.

When the doctor came out, Niall was fast asleep in my arms, his body pressed against mine. The doctor had a sad regretful look on his face and a wave of fear came over me.

"We couldn't save her, I'm sorry."

No...

I shook Niall gently. His blue eyes shone as he looked around, spotting the doctor as soon as he sat up. He looked up at him with pleading eyes, but the doctor shook his head again.

"I'm sorry."

His face paled and tears streamed down his face. He leaned his back into my chest again and brought his knees to his own chest. Sobs racked from his body as I wrapped my arms around him, holding his shaking figure as he let it all out.

"We'll call you again to see how Mr. Horan would like to arrange funeral plans."

I nodded and the doctor left us alone. Niall's sobs echoed in the waiting room, and I couldn't help but begin to cry as well.