4 misunderstood

He didn't wait longer for a disagreement. Instead, he placed one hand on my lower back and gently nudged me forward toward the stairs.

My head was an utter mess. Completely confused, I let him guide me, half-perceived the institutions we were passing by.

"That's my room."

It was huge. Everything was huge.The floor-to-ceiling window provided an amazing view to the giant swimming pool outside. An enormous king size bed occupied the middle. Every corner was held in a clean, neat manner.

"You have a sister?" I pointed at the picture on his bedside table, on which also a fancy designer lamp was planted.

"Yeah, Callie. She's 15."

"You two get along well?"

"Most of the time, I guess," he scratched the back of his head, "like every other siblings, we fight a lot, you know."

I nodded. "Well, since I'm an only child, I've always wished for a sibling, in particular a big brother."

Leaning against his built-in wardrobe, he watched me curiously. "Why?"

Tugging a strand of my strawberry blond hairs behind my ear, which had fallen out from my plait, I shrugged. " 'Guess I want someone who protects me. My parents didn't worry about me much. They basically let me do everything I want to do and didn't bother that something bad might happen to me."

He remained silent at first, only to wrap his arms around me a few seconds later and hug me, catching me completely off guard. People rather envied me for the freedom I had.

Before my mind became fully aware of that what was going on, he released me. "Sorry, I ... I was just trying to offer some comfort." He apologised.

My heart drummed loudly in my ears. I couldn't help but feeling slightly disappointed. What else had you expected? Him telling you he'd protect you?

I inwardly ridiculed myself.

"Are we finished? I'd like to say hi to my friends." My tone sounded harsher than intended.

He furrowed his brows. His body stiffened. "Sure," he said flatly, "Sorry. My fault for taking up so much of your time. I'll lead you down."

Stop. Apologising!

He pushed away from the wardrobe. Without granting me another glance, he stepped out of the room.

What the hell?!