17 excited

A few weeks later

The pre-Christmas season always turned me into a giggly person in spite of the constantly overcast sky. At the last couple of Christmases there was no snow. Not that it bothered me. I didn't fancy snow since I saw it changed into dirty mud after cars had driven over it.

Smoothing my waves, I rang the bell. The door swung open. The girl, who must be my boyfriend's little sister Callie, emerged. Her long hairs in an up-do had the same dark blonde shade as her brother. She was wearing a light blue tutu which accentuated her long toned legs and delicate core. She was just breathtaking.

"Hi Susie! I'm Callie. Please come in," she welcomed me cordially.

"Hi Callie. Thanks," I smiled.

She led me to the living room. "Can I offer you something to drink?"

"I'm good actually. Where are the others?" The throbbing of my heart got louder with every second elapsed. I couldn't help feel anxious about meeting Phillip's parents. His mother was a famous biology professor who was often invited to the most renowned universities to hold speeches and on the top, she was beyond passionate about her subject whereas I struggled to comprehend the basics. What if she commenced testing me?

I shuddered at the thought.

"They're all not home. Mum initially wanted to cook since it's such a special occasion but something came up with work so we decided to go out after all."

I nodded.

"Do you mind me go and change? I just came home from ballet."

"Oh right, Phillip told me you are rehearsing for a big show next week. The Nutcracker, right?" I inwardly blamed myself for not remembering it earlier. The tutu was an obvious sign.

"Yeah," she beamed, clearly delighted that her brother mentioned her.

"You must be excellent. I mean, the state opera?" I said in awe.

She shrugged. "Well, I guess so. I've been working my arse off and eventually I have to reap the rewards." Her posture radiated determination. Damn, the girl was admirable.

Having changed into a pair of skinny jeans and an oversized jumper, she looped her arm around mine and we made our way to the restaurant where Phillip and their parents were waiting for us.

On the ten minute walk I found out that Callie was the one who delivered the letter of Phillip at Halloween.

I gasped in disbelief. She giggled, admitting: "I accidentally saw a picture of you on his phone and coaxed him into telling me everything. When he did, I punched him for being such an idiot. You seem like a sweet girl and he is so in love with you. I can't believe he refused you just because of some unconfirmed pictures. So I forced him into action and played Cupid." She wiggled her eyebrows.

I shook my head in playful exasperation but laughed anyway. "Thank you." I stopped in the middle of the street and hugged her.