CHAPTER 8

ALLIE

"Well...um..." he stuttered and looked like he was really struggling for words. He looked embarrassed and I couldn't help but think he looks so cute when he is flustered!

"It's ok you don't have to tell me. I understand." I gently pull my hand away feeling a little disappointed. You should have known a guy like him would never like a girl like you! I'm so stupid! My subconscious butts in. I get up and walk to leave when he stops me.

"Allie." I stop but don't turn around. The way he said my name made shivers run down my spine. I heard a shuffle of movement behind me then I felt his warm breath on the back of my neck. I took a deep breath to try and calm my nerves... It didn't help.

"Allie look at me." He says in a deep commanding voice that I couldn't resist so I turned and was staring at a big broad sexy chest. I do not look up to look in his eyes knowing the hurt I felt would show. Then I feel a strong rough hand gently pull my face up so that I must look at him and what I saw when I looked at him was the same hurt I felt.

"I never knew what to say to you, or how to approach you. Every time I thought about it, I got so nervous... And scared."

"Scared of what? I'm not gonna bite."

"I know, and I sound ridiculous, but I was scared you would- "

He was cut off when the door opened and because I was standing right in front of it, it knocked me into Colby. I was suddenly in his arms my face buried in his chest and a strong sent of male masculine flooded my senses, it smelled of pine trees and anther earthly smell I couldn't make out. Then a deep growl filled the room and I could feel the vibration coming from the chest in front of me...that my face was still in. His arms that were around me tightened just a little bit. Finally, I pulled away to look up, I see Colby looking at me then he looks away to the person behind me. I glance back to see Danny watching us with a smile on her face I look back to Colby and take a step back. I turn to Danny to see what she wanted.

She giggles and says "Assistant coach Kelly wants you. Something about leaving... I'm not sure."

"Ok, Danny I'll be out there in a minute," I say using her Nickname.

"Don't take too long." she looks to Colby then winks and walks out.

I take a deep breath and turn back to Colby.

"If we leave soon do you think you'll be ok on the bus or do you want me to call someone to get you and take you home?"

He looks at me strangely for a moment then says, "I can take the bus."

I nod then walk out to find coach Kelly. I see him standing by the sidelines talking to the coach from the other team. As I get closer I can hear them more clearly.

"He should be ok nothing too serious." He gives the other coach a knowing look and then says, "You know we heal fast." He said it almost to quite for me to hear... almost!

I approach them and clear my throat. They look at me and coach Kelly excuses himself and pulls me to the side.

"Coach Beckham says I can trust you better than the other girls ...to look after Colby. I want you to look after him while we're on the bus and here... although we will be leaving soon."    

I give him a questioning look and he says "We may have to forfeit. We're down three of our best players."

"Oh," I mumble all I can think to say.

"Anyway, I want you to stay with him till we leave, ok?"

"Yes sir... Have you heard anything about Noah?" I ask worriedly for him.

"Nothing yet I'll let you know if something comes up."

I nod and head back to the field house. When I get back inside he's lying on the cot. I sit in the chair next to him. He's asleep and I take the opportunity to look at his features... without touching him this time McKenna! I scold myself... And yes, my middle name is McKenna. Allie McKenna Gibbs. Ugh, I've always hated my name. I've always wanted something like Lilly or Elisabeth or something like that, I'm not sure why.

As I watch him sleep I feel the weight of the day on my shoulders and I start to feel tired I lean back in a chair resting against the backrest careful not to wake him I brought my feet up on the side of his cot, I relax and soon found myself asleep dreaming of a dream that I wish I could make sure it never comes true.