KING ARTHUR

KING ARTHUR

A legendary British leader who led the war against the invading Saxons in the late 5th century and early 6th century, King Arthur is known world-wide as a hero and a true king. However, many people across the globe have their doubts that he actually existed at all due to the lack of historical evidence. Stories of his life are mostly composed of folklore and myths, and his existence is still a debated topic.

Arthur varies from a fierce warrior defending Britain against it's enemies, both human and supernatural, to a magical figure. His name crops up in many sources, including Y Gododin and the writings of a British monk called Gildas who was best known his poetry.

It was Geoffrey of Monmouth, a British cleric, who populated a large interest in King Arthur with his imaginative, 12th century account of a history of the kings of Britain, which was called Historia Regum Britanniae (History of the Kings of Britain). He described Arthur as a king who defeated the Saxons and created an empire over Britain, Iceland, Ireland, Norway, and Gaul. There are numerous elements of his story that came from Geoffrey's Historia, such as Arthur's father, Uther Pendragon, the wizard Merlin, his wife Guinevere, the sword Excalibur, Arthur's conception at Tintagel, his final battle against Mordred at Camlann, and his final rest in Avalon.

Chretien de Troyes, a French writer, later added Lancelot and the Holy Grail, making Arthur's story one of the most famed and favoured in medieval literature. It thrived in the Middle Ages, but it's popularity waned until the 19th century, when it quickly resurfaced and became a favourite again. In this day and age, the legend still lives on, not only in literature, but in comics, movies, theatre, and other adaptations.

Numerous scholars over the years have debated the existence of Arthur, referring to the Historia Brittonum (History of Britain) and the Annales Cambriae (Welsh Annals) for clues, but problems have since been identified that lead them to believe, at this stage in time, no-one may ever truly know if King Arthur actually existed or not. Historian Thomas-Charles Edwards says, "At this stage, one can only say that there may well have been an historical Arthur..."